Author Topic: Charlie diabetic puss, UPDATE C'bury CP!CHARLIE NOW HAS FOUND HIS NEW HOME!!!!!  (Read 9934 times)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Hurrah - another link in the chain . . .. . :wow:

Maybe someone will be able to show this woman - if there's *any* chance that Blaze might be her missing cat . . .  . . . . :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Yes Mark helps out Sharon at CP Canterbury

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Mark - are you able to forward the pic on to the lady who has lost her cat?

(still trying to 'navigate' the links between people on this forum and think (perhaps incorrectly??) that you have links with Canterbury CP . . . . .)
 ;D

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Mark - it would be amazing, wouldn't it. I'm certainly no expert on B&W cats but surely this stripe down the nose isn't overly common - perhaps someone will set me right on that . .  . . .  :shocked:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Wouldn't it be great if he was the woman's missing cat?  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
I'll try to put the picture here:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Seeing the picture of Charlie reminded me of a cat that I had seen recently  . . . . . so I've just been checking and realised that there's a cat with Ron at Lost Cats Brighton called Blaze who has that very distinctive white stripe down his nose . . . . click here and scroll down . . . .

http://www.lostcatsbrighton.org.uk/html/cats_needing_a_home.html

I don't know if the stripe is too wide to be the lady's lost cat and the details are pretty scant on Ron's website  (just says age is 5+ ) - but maybe it's worth passing on to her?

Otherwise, things seem to be looking up for Charlie . . . . :Luv2:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Aww, that is lovely, I will keep my fingers crossed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
That would be great. He is a lovely boy and I'm sure he will win her over  :Luv2:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 09:28:17 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
If you have kept up with this rather long thread, i was told last night that this lady is coming all the way from Gravesend to see Charlie later on today... Not her Jasper but fate being fate, he is so similar in appearance Charlie may get a loving home out of it, despite being diabetic..

Fingers crossed here because its a lovely story...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
Keeping my fingers crossed for Charlie, too.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
That would be great. Good luck, Charlie!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Aww, fingers crossed, that would be a lovely outcome.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
I want to tell you about developments with Charlie. After posting here and on Catchat i had an email from a lady who thought Charlie may of been her Jasper who has been missing for 2 years... Amazingly the photos she sent through to me showed a remarkable similarity it was hard to say, so i asked Caroline to send some more. Her Jasper went missing after escaping from a cat basket outside a vets, he was 6yrs old at the time.. So the ages would of worked.

She has been looking ever since on all kinds of websites and had done a massive amount of work to try and find him. Sadly he was not chipped. Today we confirmed that Charlie wasnt Jasper only because of a difference colouring on his chin, but they could of been twins.  Anyhow after a long chat talking to Caroline she was thinking of adopting another cat to go with her elderly puss, even though Charlie isnt her old puss there is a possibility she may decide to take him on.. This would be fate i reckon, as it was just pure chance i decided to put Charlie on the web, actually its amazing Charlie is even alive with his diabetes and the poor condition he was in when he came into our care.

She is going to think about it for the rest of the week and hopefully go and see him next weekend and decide, but I am sure as soon as she does see him she will be won over..

This could be a true Easter story.. Will keep  you all posted.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 20:27:06 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I meant I was going to put links to the diabetic forums on here for extra info. But your idea's pretty good PB. I'll post a link to this thread on the sites and see if anyone would be prepared to take him.

• Super Cat
Charlie is on twice daily injections, although we hope that in time that will be reduced to one a day..

We did try him on a special diet but the vets said that this would not be sufficient to control his diabetes, so we had to go back to insulin...

Its amazing he survived 2 weeks or more without treatment really

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Feel free to crosspost anywhere, JS. Thanks!  ;)

Not sure how many injections at he needs present, maybe just the one I think, but i know the hope is this can be controlled by diet when he's stable.  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
How many times a day does he need injections? He's lovely. :)

There's a couple of good forums for owners of diabetic cats - I'd be happy to send the links to the new owner. Or I can put them on this thread.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 15:47:27 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
As the owner of a recently diagnosed diabetic boy - a former feral now aged 11 can I say that once the injections are mastered and the dose of insulin is right they become there oldselves again in no time.

Tiger has used up his fair share of his 9 lives and now is a star at our vets as they can take his bloods with no anasthetic and he purrs right the way through things - he does however like the lady vets better and one in particular is in love with our boy.

We are on shots twice a day and apart from that he is still enjoying all his followers and being outside through the day and now walks to the kitchen at 6.15am for his first injection and extra treat and same agin at 7pm for shot number 2 - we give an extra treat so he is occupied during the injection and it works for us.

Good luck with homing him and if his prospective new owners need some advice point them in our direction.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Aww what a cutie I home someone will offer hiim a loving home real soon. It is always harder to home a cat with health problems but there are people out there ;D

• Super Cat
Charlie is in the care of Canterbury and District CP, Kent.

Charlie is a loveable soul… He has only recently come into our care, but he has been through a lot.. We were told of Charlie in early March, he was a stray that was being fed by a lovely man who took him under his wing. Unfortunately the elderly man died in early February, but Charlie still stayed around his home waiting to be fed and stroked.. Everyone assumed Charlie belonged to someone as they had seem him around the area, but only when his condition deteriorated did people think that maybe Charlie was once again out on his own.

A concerned neighbour called us and we managed to get Charlie in the vets in the next few days, we didn’t have any room to accommodate him so he stayed at the vet over a weekend where they discovered he was drinking quite a lot. Being concerned, they did some blood work and discovered that Charlie was diabetic and was very poorly, his blood sugar levels being off the scale. We quickly got him sorted and stabilised with insulin and was well enought to come into foster care a few days later.

Charlie could of downhill fast without prompt veterinary care. At the moment he is on daily injections that he takes very well.  Charlie goes for a check up in a week time to see if the insulin dose is fine, but he will need checkups at vets every few months (hard to tell at the moment how often) to check his blood levels etc.

We realise that taking on a diabetic cat can be seen as a huge commitment but we couldn’t just give up on him. He is a lovely affectionate boy that gets on with other cats and even well behaved dogs. He is a real fusspot and enjoys being stroked and made a huge fuss of and would love the attention anyone can bestow upon him. He does not seem to perturbed by children in fact he laps it up.

We reckon he is around 10rs old, but he acts much younger, he has already been neutered and will start on his vaccination course as soon as the vets are happy with his diabetes, we will also get him chipped.

Can you give Charlie a second chance of a happy life despite his current health problems? We will give you all the advice and support you need and would be prepared if to help with ongoing veterinary bills associated with his condition.

I am posting this now as finding homes for diabetic cats dont come along that often and although he will need to be vet checked out once more at our vets to make sure all is well, if anyone out their has seen this and wants to find out more then please get in touch via my email.

Of course anyone with experience of dealing with a diabetic puss would help alot, or maybe you are diabetic yourself. You would need to have a routine whereby you were around to make sure that he has his jabs, so anyone with unsocial work hours or works away from home probably would not be able to cope with his daily injections.

We ideally would wish to rehome him in the local area but if the right home came up and we could organise a homecheck we would be willing to rehome him outside our area (we may need the co operation of another CP branch or rescue organisation to help us do this). If he was rehomed outside our area we would hope that any vet used by the new adopters would be sympathetic to CP aims and would be willing to work with us  in making sure that Charlie got the best of care in the future.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 14:45:36 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Link to CatChat