Author Topic: FUR SHEDDING  (Read 3855 times)

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
Re: FUR SHEDDING
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 20:15:39 PM »
jamesons mum-lol know what you mean my fluffy used to be like that!!

black cat-you know it!!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 14:31:25 PM »
I find the zoom groom really good, looks useless but gets loads of fur off

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 14:05:26 PM »
Jamesons fur is very thick and he has been shedding LOADS lately... I'm constantly following him around the house with a sticky roller trying to get rid of all hairs everywhere (found cat hair in the butter tub this morning! - it's bl**dy everywhere!)

We've got a few different grooming brushes that seem to work o.k; one fine comb (that we got from Sainsburys) and a bigger brush. He doesn't mind us grooming him, although will keep moving around just to make it difficult. He makes a point of having to sniff the comb every now and then, and also has to sniff the fur that we pick off the comb. When he's had enough of the grooming he will suddenly swipe at the brush and bite my hand. That's his way of saying ''that's it, folk''...!

I am mostly successful with grooming him when he's lying down resting, or when he is eating (funnily enough).

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 08:16:10 AM »
At least it isn't the cats!!! Good luck for keeping it under control though
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 20:02:58 PM »
lol, well that's a relief, for you and the cats. At least now, when you are bedbound in misery, you can enjoy the company of your cats ... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 19:53:43 PM »
Hi All

I just thought Id update you on the whole fur and allergy situtation. The cats fur is looking great now that they are regularly groomed and wiped with petalclense but unfortunately it has not solved my allergy problem as aparently I am not allergic to cats but silver birch pollen and some fruits. The condition is known as Oral Birch Allergy.

So it sounds like I am stuck on antihistamines long term and the cats are of the hook  :happy dance:

:thanks: for all the advice guys

Tammy

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 11:31:21 AM »
Thanks Raynard. Never used to brush them to be honest but have strated a few days ago to try and keep on top of it all.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 22:59:23 PM »
Tammy, what's your grooming routine with the girls? (They're beautiful, btw.)

The only way you can really stay on top of shedding is to keep up with the grooming - assuming of course that your cats are happy to be brushed. There are quite a few pretty useful grooming implements on the market that will cut down on the amount of fur being shed.

A good starting point would be a slicker brush, which is brilliant at removing loose undercoat. A fine-pitch metal comb is also handy, as is a good pure bristle brush. If the amount of fur being shed is quite copious, there's a product called a Furminator which should make inroads into the problem.

You don't need to spend vast amounts of time brushing your cats, just a few minutes each per day will really help. The act of grooming itself is a good coat conditioner as it distributes the natural oils throughout the fur.

Also, you might want to pop a few drops of evening primrose oil into your girl's food as it is a helpful supplement when dealing with skin and coat conditions.

In answer to another question on this thread, not sure whether particular brands of dried food can affect coat condition. Puffball, if the switch from Royal Canin to Hills was recommended by your vet, the chances are that your vet is a Hills stockist and therefore maintains a financial advantage by promoting and selling the product. If the shedding was a diet-related condition, IMHO either an exclusion diet (finding out what foods are the trigger) or a hypoallergenic diet (e.g. James Wellbeloved) should have been suggested.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 21:00:55 PM »
millys mum- I have a very old hoover but even if it was anew decent one Id need to hoover by bed and sofa 3 or 4 times a day to make a difference LOL

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 16:42:16 PM »
What kind of hoover have you got?

I also saw some kind of allergy plug in thing that removes allergens from the air, cant remember the name of it at the moment tho  :doh:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 13:00:52 PM »
Gill

Tiddler sheds non stop also.
Thanks for the support-I hope it works too

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 23:04:10 PM »
Mine moult all the time and Sasa and Franta have both pulled out their undercoats and they dump them all over the house...........sigh

I hope the treatment works  :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
Thanks Lynn  ;D

I am due at an allergy clininc in 2 weeks to see if I can be desenisitzed as it is REEEAALLLY bad until then I have to take extra strong prescription antihistamines.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »
Little Junkie is going through a "phase" of pulling out bits of his fur....not sure why. He's actually looking heathier than he has in ages other than that!

Sorry about your allergies - I hope you can find a way to control the situation.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »
Sorry Tammy, I have this problem with fraser and it doesnt seem to matter what supplements i try, what diet he eats or what time of year or how much you do or do not groom him, its a nightmare.  I blame central heating just coz i need to blame something lol.

WB by the way  ;) :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
Thanks guys. I was just worried as she seems to of been moulting quite badly and the other has just lsot odd hairs here and there, but they do have very different fur to eachother to be honest.

Gillian I shall try your remedy as her coat is a little dull and you never know I may stop clawing at my eyes also!!

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »
Mine sheds something awful. I have been told that some diets are better than others for reducing this. She has always had Royal Canin but I have been recommended to swap to Hills Science Plan. I can't comment on if it works as I only bought the Hills 2 days ago and am still mixing it in, but maybe other people may have more info on this

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 23:31:47 PM »
This also happens to me when I've had too much contact with one of mine, sore, itchy eyes and also gets a bit gooey, my eyes that is. I would just groom them every day and this should help with the shedding.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 20:00:26 PM »
The problem is that the livelier more friendly one has been shedding fur quite badly at all times since she has arrived. The house is covered in a carpet of hair. She has not developed any bold patches as yet, but it has become so severe that both my mum and I are developing an allergy to her and are having to have immunotherapy to suppress our allergies.

Basically  what I'm asking is if anyone knows what may be causing this and how we may be able to control it possibly?

Sounds like normal moulting to me - its the time of year when they're losing their winter coat so it will be worse at the moment. By the way with regard to your allergies have you tried Petalcleanse on their coats? I find it works really well. You just wipe the lotion on their coats with a cloth and it reduces the allergens (also makes the coats really nice and shiney too!) http://www.bio-life.co.uk/

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
FUR SHEDDING
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 18:03:10 PM »
Hi. I'm in need of help. I took in 2 rescue kittens on 10th December last year. They were both freshly neutred 8month old females that came into the shelter together. Although they both have very different personalities, they have settled in very well.
The problem is that the livelier more friendly one has been shedding fur quite badly at all times since she has arrived. The house is covered in a carpet of hair. She has not developed any bold patches as yet, but it has become so severe that both my mum and I are developing an allergy to her and are having to have immunotherapy to suppress our allergies.

Basically  what I'm asking is if anyone knows what may be causing this and how we may be able to control it possibly?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat