Author Topic: Jess is back at the vets again  (Read 9088 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Jess is back at the vets again
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:11 AM »
Thank you Gill, that was really interesting to read,

I spoke to the vets and Jess had a good night has eaten and wee'd, and doesn't seem as nervous.

It's likely he can come home today, but with a cocktail of relaxing drugs,

The op was also mentioned to us, and I have to say after lots of discussion we are keen for Jess to have it.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 23:47:14 PM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 23:40:43 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that Jess is ill again and there is another thread on hear which may help cos there is so much that can be done. I will try and find it.

As far as visiting is concerned cats and dogs act very differently and vet advice is to visit a cat as much as possible because it helps them but not so a dog cos they get very upset.

It is also a good idea tomleave with your cat a worn shirt or something cos your smell halps them too.

When Kocka was in hospital , I used to visit her every night and I was updset to leave her but it did her good to know that I was still around and loved her.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 21:04:13 PM »
Hope all goes well, fingers crossed

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 18:52:59 PM »
Fingers crossed for him, it can take a while for urinary issues to sort themselves out.
Please spay your cat

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 18:48:00 PM »
So sorry to hear about Jess and hoping that you soon have him home again, fit and well. I had the same problem with a boy of mine several years ago. He was catheterised on four different occasions, but lived to a ripe old age. I panicked each time, so do understand just how you must be feeling. Treatment is so much better now than it was in Miffy's time. My Vet wouldn't let me visit him which upset me at the time, but now I totally agree with what Blackcat has said.
Thinking of you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 16:46:45 PM »
It sounds heartless, and each to their own, but I never visit my animals when there are in care or at the vets. I think they are left feeling worse for the experience as they can not understand why you go away and leave them there. Better to do it once and only go back to collect them... The more so if you can not be sure you will not get emotional - stress is harder for animals to bear than pain ...

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 16:02:26 PM »
Just spoke to the vet they are sedating Jess again to empty his bladder, despite the drugs his not weeing and his bladder is quite full,

I can't visit now as he'll be very sleepy and the vet thinks I'll get upset and stress him a bit more (which is likely to happen)

She is going to call me when its done

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 15:50:09 PM »
agree Gillian, modern treatments are much more effective than we had when Tabitha Jane was alive, and Bob lived very happily with his problem for many years ... it is simply identifying the right combination of food and treatment - and you seem to be taking the right approach ... Hang in there, it is well worth it. I had Bob for another seven years from his first episode ...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 15:47:43 PM »
Thank you, thats the only thing thats keeping me going at the moment, we can't keep going on like this though we need to get him fixed, I'm very scared i'll lose him though,

As others have said, he's in the right place  :hug: - there are several things you can try to help prevent this from recurring, (dietary changes, increased water intake, cystaid etc) but I expect your vet will go through all possibilities with you.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 15:36:55 PM »
Glad you caught him in time again Leanne. At least he is the best place right now - even though he and you probably don't see it that way  :hug:

Thank you, thats the only thing thats keeping me going at the moment, we can't keep going on like this though we need to get him fixed, I'm very scared i'll lose him though,

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 15:34:26 PM »
Glad you caught him in time again Leanne. At least he is the best place right now - even though he and you probably don't see it that way  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 15:12:23 PM »
Just spoke to the vets, Jess is spending the night with them again, the medication they are giving him doesn't seem to be working properly, so its trial and error. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back because I want to know what his on,

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 14:48:49 PM »
Ah bless hope he is ok

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 14:44:50 PM »
Hope Jess is back home again with you quickly  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 13:35:57 PM »
Hope Jess gets on well at the vets :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »
yes, Bob used to wee in inappropriate places, directly under my nose, when he had a blockage coming on. Good you spotted it so quickly! and fingers crossed for the vet trip. Once it is stabilised you will only have occasional probs, so don't fret too much. As long as you stay alert, you and Jess seem to have a good system worked out.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Jess is back at the vets again
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
Well Jess is back in the vets,

This morning he was slightly off his food, and in the space of 30 minutes he wee'd 4 times, each time there was less and less wee.

After about and hour and just as we were due to leave for work he started to wee in his bed, (he never does this but now I think his telling us his not well when he does it) each time he was taking long and longer to go and there was only tiny amounts.

I got him to the vets for 9 and Emma (our vet) said he has another partial blockage and a half full bladder. I took him straight to the hospital where he was admitted, they were going to put him on valium and try and get him to wee, if he does his coming home if he doesn't then his being catheterised again.

I know his in the best place, but I'm scared about where we go from here,

Link to CatChat