Author Topic: Harry Houdini  (Read 1955 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Harry Houdini
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 17:12:32 PM »
well you can try them too if you like. But as there are several chipping systems I would be inclined to go for a more centrally operated approach myself. I am sure if you explore the options you will find one you are comfortable with.

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 17:03:49 PM »
Surely it would lie with the people who own the chipping system?

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 16:53:38 PM »
dunno, I think I would start with the RCVS. Or if your local MP is an animal lover they could introduce a private members bill ....

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 16:52:30 PM »
So who could I contact to get the ball rolling with this idea?

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 14:31:55 PM »
In Oz when a cat is neutered it gets a tattoo in one ear. The tattoo is a circle with a cross line (like no smoking sign without the ciggie). If the cat is also chipped, you could take the cross back the other way to form an X in a circle ... It is a legal requirement and only show cats are excluded from the requirement. Also saves the aggravation of trying to figure out if female rescue cats are neutered ...

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 14:11:47 PM »
Ive been thinking, that there should be some sort of way, by something being on the body of a chipped cat so others know it's chipped.

For example- Harry will not keep a collar on, the safety collars are all I will use, he can take them off himself.

I thought putting a colour dot on the tooth of a chipped cat would let others know they are chipped  ;D

This would have to be national though, how could I do that?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 13:32:29 PM »
Awwww, CC. I'm sorry I can't think of anything at present, but I will try and think of an alternative to the soft paws. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 00:23:13 AM »
It does not matter how high or dangeled over it is, he still gets out.

JS he always climbs the fence, just thought the soft claws might not let him do that.

You have to understand Im thinking of every safe possible way to keep him in.

I've had a few scares with him where he hasn't come home all night (not like him) and I've been sitting on my back step at 6am crying because I thought he was gone.

I just want to keep him safe.

Ted and Macey would like to go out too but are too fat to do Harry's stunts.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 23:54:14 PM »
Also, if Harry is as determind as he sounds he might figure out a way to escape the garden without using his claws and that would put him at risk if he encountered a strange cat and felt threatened.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 23:52:19 PM »
I do not think this is appropriate.

I understand you wantbto keep him safe but there must be a reason that he keeps escaping because Roz would tell you and also Tan and others with cat proofing. that they cannot escape if its done correctly.

I would suggest there is a fault in the system somewhere and Harry isnt it  ;D

ccmacey

Harry Houdini
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 23:11:05 PM »
Harry my little gray boy is still getting out of my cat proofed garden, it keeps all my other 4 in. I have now realised there is no way to stop him from getting out, he can do quite amazing jumps, twists and turns hence him always being able to get out even though the cat proofing has been altered 3 times.

So I have thought soft claws may help in stoping him to get out, surely he wouldn't be able to claw the wood and heave himself up?

Remember I would only be doing it for his safety outside and at some point I want to fit a cat flap so they all can go into the garden day or night but cant because of Harry.

So do you think they may work and does a vet fit them?

Link to CatChat