Author Topic: Satnav collar at crufts  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
Re: Satnav collar at crufts
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
until they can get a natural bio power supply sorted from the cats body, I wouldn't have any size of battery embedded in any of my cats.  :sick:

Oh no nor me, I hadn't thought of it like that. I meant when computer technology allows some sort of tracker to be programmed on a microchip... I had not considered any sort of battery being put in the cat... never  :sick:

It'll still need a power source of some kind :) GPS satellites don't continuously scan the whole world for satnavs, like a vet would scan the shoulders of a cat looking for a microchip. The chip would need to send a signal out to the satellites and be in view of the sky - by default not possible if embedded in a cats body. The power drained from a battery by GPS modules is still considerable, especially in a continuous reporting state.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 19:39:17 PM »
yes a fab idea but cannot see how it will prevent theft, i know it says it lockable collar but it looks like it would be very easy to cut and be removed.

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 19:17:48 PM »
until they can get a natural bio power supply sorted from the cats body, I wouldn't have any size of battery embedded in any of my cats.  :sick:

Oh no nor me, I hadn't thought of it like that. I meant when computer technology allows some sort of tracker to be programmed on a microchip... I had not considered any sort of battery being put in the cat... never  :sick:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 19:13:03 PM »

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 19:06:18 PM »
Someone mentioned incorporating trackers into microchips on a recent thread about collars and I thought, YES! What a fantastic idea! Even a separate tracker that could be imbedded when chipping would be great. I looked into trackers on the internet and they all seem to be quite bulky at the moment so only suitable to be attached to a collar. But this is a sure fire, gold clad marketing opportunity as I would imagine most pet owners concerned enough to microchip would gladly pay a little extra for a tracker. As soon as technology delivers a small enough tracker unit I expect someone will jump on this... I'll be waiting  :briggin:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 19:05:52 PM »
At the moment maybe but who knows what the future may hold - it wasn't that many years ago that mobile phones were the size of house bricks to accommodate the battery and other technology. 

Ever the optimist!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 19:04:06 PM »
Sadly, you'd need o attach a bettery pack to them somewhere.....

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 18:59:01 PM »
I would pay a monthly fee too

Cars can have a tracker so why cant cats !!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Satnav collar at crufts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 18:55:47 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7281529.stm

In these days of accellerating technology, I wonder how long it will be before these can be incorporated into microchips.  Now that I would pay a monthly fee for!

Link to CatChat