Author Topic: ? qualifications needed for giving vaccinations?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: ? qualifications needed for giving vaccinations?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
They must have a vet in at certain times

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »
I dont quite know how the rspca are getting away with vaccinating,  In most cases a vet will also do the 2nd vaccs aswell

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 16:16:47 PM »
AFAIK a vet has to do the microchipping too if the animal is ever going to have a passport. This is because it has to be done before the vaccination etc in a totally inflexible procedure set down by DEFRA. That chipping has a lot of official paperwork attached to it too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 18:34:55 PM »
Vets have to do first vaccines and boosters, VNs can do the second part.

Angie, you need to go to vet school  :naughty:  you need to be a vet to prescribe the drugs, not the actual sticking of needle into cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
Doesn't make sense doe it when I don't think fully qualified vet nurses can give them? Also would the  vaccine be a POM so you may not be able to get it anyway?

In my vets there is a notice saying that unless the owner objects the second vaccination of the course could be given by a vet nurse (mine was done by the vet though).  I think the reasoning behind it is that a vet would need to check the cat is healthy enough to be vaccinated if they are there for the first jab?

Sorry, not much help Angie but that means it's not restricted to veterinary surgeons and the RSPCA.

Tell a lie, it was on the website...

Animals requiring a second injection between 2 and 4 weeks after the first vaccination may be booked this appointment with a veterinary nurse if no problems were detected on the initial visit to the veterinary surgeon.  Please let us know if you would prefer this appointment to be made with a veterinary surgeon (no extra charge).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:39:41 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »
I'm convinced vet nurses can't give them either but will try and find out.  I remember taking 2 of mine down for jabs and the vets wasn't there so I had to go back.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
I know that the local RSPCA do vaccinations on site and they are not qualified vets.

Doesn't make sense does it when I don't think fully qualified vet nurses can give them? Also would the  vaccine be a POM so you may not be able to get it anyway?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:37:34 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
? qualifications needed for giving vaccinations?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 15:52:21 PM »
We have decided to send one of us (not me 'cos I hate needles!) on a microchipping course so that we can chip our cats and maybe make some much needed money by offering the service.

This has led me on to thinking about vaccinations and wondering what sort of qualifications you need to be able to vaccinate your own cats.

I know that the local RSPCA do vaccinations on site and they are not qualified vets.

Anyone any ideas on the subject or where I can find out? Just off to RCVS site now.........

Link to CatChat