Author Topic: Evening Primrose oil question  (Read 3248 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Evening Primrose oil question
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 15:11:29 PM »
I always highly recommend Viacutan as it really is still one of the best for skin/coats

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 20:32:44 PM »
I rotate, as cant pick a favourite!

Yes think thats a good idea.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 20:29:04 PM »
I rotate, as cant pick a favourite!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 20:26:50 PM »
In the links page under vet stuff and also on elas website and desleys and teresas   ;D

It will take you to the vetuk site and track what you buy, the rescues then get 5% of your sale amount  :wow:

Fabulous found it - but 3 of you  :-: who to help out  :scared:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 20:22:53 PM »
In the links page under vet stuff and also on elas website and desleys and teresas   ;D

It will take you to the vetuk site and track what you buy, the rescues then get 5% of your sale amount  :wow:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 20:09:28 PM »
Dont forget to order through a rescue link   ;D

How do I find the links, when I've tried to look on the site for them I get forwarded to weird stuff!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 20:06:03 PM »
Dont forget to order through a rescue link   ;D

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 20:04:40 PM »
I pierce the capsule and add the contents (liquid) to food.  Does Bunty eat wet food?  Jaffa doesn't mind them in his food.  It comes in a spray cannister too, but I tend to buy the capsules.

Ah brilliant, sorry I read it as if it was powder - liquid then is not a problem as Bunty eats anything so liquid on her food always goes unnoticed.   I am orderign RC Urinary food from Vet UK this week so will order some.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 19:59:16 PM »
Slippery Elm Bark is meant to be good for coats.  You can get it from Holland & Barrett in capsules, you just pull the capsule apart an sprinkle it on food.  I used it for nausea for my cat Tiggy who had CRF - from the CRF website:  Slippery Elm Bark is a herbal remedy used for most kinds of digestive or intestinal problems - it can be used for nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation. It soothes and coats the stomach lining and intestinal walls and reduces irritation. This can be extremely useful in combating the nausea and stomach acid which many CRF cats experience; as a side effect it can also improve coat dryness and dandruff.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 19:56:22 PM »
I pierce the capsule and add the contents (liquid) to food.  Does Bunty eat wet food?  Jaffa doesn't mind them in his food.  It comes in a spray cannister too, but I tend to buy the capsules.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 19:50:22 PM »
Susanne they might be an idea for Bunty my old lady but I wish they were in liquid form as giving Bunty tablets is a stressful business!

Vesti my big boy is never a problem as you wrap it up in some sort of food  and it doesn't even touch the sides!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 19:47:41 PM »
You could use evening primrose oil or fish oils.  I give Jaffa viacutan capsules from vetuk and I find them very good.  Jaffa's skin and fur is not really in poor condition, but he has unusual course hair rather than normal cat fur (always has) and it's always been thin.  It's thinning as he gets older (he's 10 now) and sometimes looks a little bit less healthy than I'd like.  I've found the viacutan really does make a difference.  His fur is just that little bit shinier and healthier looking when he's on the viacutan.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_15&products_id=344

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 19:45:18 PM »
Thank you hunnie will get some for Vesti then x

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 19:43:06 PM »
Hello Mrs R, think it might have been a post about my Martha (22 yr old CRF) and was a suggestion from Mark.

I took her for a check-up last week (I was worried about her coat/skin condition on a renal diet) and the vet said she was ok apart from having very dry skin & thought the Evening Primrose Oil would be a good idea.

He suggested a 1/4 of a capsule per day, so I got some 500mg pure strength ones from Holland & Barratt, & add 2/3 drops on her food a day now (too soon to notice any change).

Hope this helps.

Jas

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Evening Primrose oil question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 17:32:21 PM »
Read a post on here about someones cat having the dry skin flakes, now Sylvester my big boy has them and no matter what food he is on he has always had them but as he is on the Renal dry food diet now I want to give him some supplement and so thinking back to the dry skin flakes post I wondered would Evening Primrose be adequate and if so can you use it from any store - it doesn't need to be bought from a veterinary supplier or does it?    Or instead of Evening Primrose would there be another posssibility?   Thanks for thoughts guys x

Link to CatChat