Author Topic: Am I the only one this paranoid?  (Read 5281 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: Am I the only one this paranoid?
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 18:36:31 PM »
See Lucy the worry wart can't deal with candles even   :shy: - did escape a house fire so maybe some excuse! Glad that Gypsy and Bella are OK though!

Relate to that one totally - we had a house fire when I was 13 years old and it's only recently that I've been able to light candles - but I feel panicky the whole time they're burning!  Belle is fine, thanks for asking  :hug:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 23:06:03 PM »
See Lucy the worry wart can't deal with candles even   :shy: - did escape a house fire so maybe some excuse! Glad that Gypsy and Bella are OK though!

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 22:36:22 PM »
Had a similar experience last night with Bella and a lit candle ... whiskers slightly crinkly now but no lasting damage  :doh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 19:32:21 PM »
Luckily mine have never shown any interest in getting in the machine BEFORE a wash - but need to get wet clothes out pretty smartish AFTER a wash as Lucy will sneak in and sleep on them LOL!

Horrible experience Michelle! - my Gypsy recently walked across the hob on which I was boiling some potatoes, I'd only looked away for a few seconds, when I looked back Gypsy's tail was on fire  :omg: - she was completely oblivious and was happily walking across the worktop glowing tail an all! Luckily it was just the ends of fur burnt, but her previously full fluffy tail is only fluffy one side now - tail fur takes a hideously long time to grow back!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 16:42:21 PM »
Lucy, you're not even slightly as paranoid as me - I regularly check all of my three when they're asleep, to see if they're still breathing!!  :rofl: :rofl:

Yes.. I've done that. Usually check my large handbag as madam has been known to jump into it for a nap. Unless she's at the top of the stairs before I leave I worry.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 14:35:51 PM »
Lucy, you're not even slightly as paranoid as me - I regularly check all of my three when they're asleep, to see if they're still breathing!!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 13:20:40 PM »
if they're on the worktop (yeah, yeah, I know, I know), they stop when they get to the cooker.  Maybe they just know?

You'd never find one of mine on the worktops.......theres always atleast 4  :rofl:
Taz will pick things out the plug catcher if you dont get there before him   :sick: :sick:

Luckily i dont have a problem with the washing  machine/tumble but they do get under the oven  :sigh: :sigh:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
Michelle - how awful!!  :hug:  Glad little Missy pulled through ok, though.

I always check to make sure Shanti is somewhere else as she is so curious and literally gets into anything!  Mostly, she 'helps' me fill the machine, trying to play with the eco-balls, and even stretches up to the switch once I've shut the door to help me turn it on!  She then makes periodic checks on the machine to make sure it's going round and round!

As for the cooker top, I'm cautious, but I've stopped shutting the kitchen door during and after cooking as they show no interest in the cooker top and to my knowledge have never strayed onto it ... if they're on the worktop (yeah, yeah, I know, I know), they stop when they get to the cooker.  Maybe they just know?

Offline FrankNTessa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 01:58:07 AM »
Thankfully I've never known Frank to jump higher than the sofa or bed but I do worry for that day he might jump onto the cooker top.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 23:48:22 PM »
How terrible Michells I dont think you posted about that..................I would have been terrified.

I am paranoid about the cooker and the rings on top and I dont trust em although they are very well behaved usually.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 19:51:37 PM »
No you are not paranoid, I always check several times as Archie has on occasions dissappeared into the washing machine and tumbler dryer. :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 19:44:09 PM »
There is a letter on the Liquivite site from a woman whos cat went through a wash - I am always extra careful. Kylie has got into the warm tumble dryer more than once - we have a large drum one and it gets very hot so no, you can't be too careful. http://www.liquivite.co.uk/product.html
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 19:24:48 PM »
Blimey Michelle - that must have been really heart in your mouth stuff.

I'm the same - I have to go see where they both are before I shut the washing machine door. I don't trust myself to notice if Mosi has climbed in and buried himself in the pile of clothes.  I want to see them both elsewhere to be sure.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 18:58:53 PM »
crikey Michelle, hope they gave you a shot of adrenalin too - I would have been in deep hysterics ...  :scared:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 17:26:52 PM »
Blimey Michelle I have no words, how awful for you both

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 17:23:38 PM »
Poor baby and poor you! So glad she was OK!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 17:12:18 PM »
I hate to say this but.................(Think Ela will remember this from another board)

When Missy was a few weeks old she did 10mins of a 40deg wash cycle  :-[

I had put washing in machine and then remembered a pair of trousers, got them, put them in, shut the door, turned on machine and walked away.
Went and sat in front room for about 5/10mins and then popped back into kitchen - Heard a funny crying noise and knew straight away what had happened. I pressed stop on the machine and ran round to my neighbour hysterical.
I dont know how he got the door open it was all a blurr
He got Missy out (alive but quiet) and i wrapped her up in a towel and rushed her up to vets - they took her straight in and said she had gone into shock and rushed her out of the back and gave her some adrenaline.

Anyway, She was fine and pulled through ok.

So YES i am very paranoid about checked the washing machine

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 17:03:36 PM »
Nope you aren't alone.   I am terribley paranoid about driving the car away from the driveway that there isn't a furbaby under it - check a billion times even though I know they are inside asleep!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 16:43:24 PM »
Nope you really aren't - I check EVERYTHING they could get into before and after use. (The fridge freezer/washing machine/cooker etc.) I mean really, how likely is it that a cat can get into an oven unnoticed?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 16:19:11 PM »
No, Lucy, I have exactly the same routine as you with both the washing machine and the dishwasher.

I always push the front door after I have locked it too  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 13:39:21 PM »
Yep me too - mine also like to bolt down the side of the machine and behind the worktops when I open the cupboard which the machine is in.  One time Milly managed it without me noticing and it was only thanks to the Loc8tor that we discovered and retrieved her a couple of hours later  :Crazy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 13:31:08 PM »
Just been putting the washing on - goes like this: check Xanthe is not in the machine already. Check she is not in the basket of dirty clothes. Load machine, shut door, add persil etc. Then go and find her so I know she hasn't teleported herself inside the machine somehow before I start it. I would never be careless with her (or anyone's)  safety but can you tell I come from two generations of worriers?  :rofl:

That's my exact routine too, the thing is I doubt Riley could even fit in there now but I still can't help myself!

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »
Glad it's not only me that thinks like this - although I would still be checking even if it were!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »
If your machine, like mine, locks the door so you can not open it until the cycle is complete, then no precaution can be too many precautions in my book ...

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Rameses has a thing for going in the washing machine and since a friend of mines family member found her cat in the tumble dryer about a year ago its made me even more careful,you can't be too careful in my opinion :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »
Re: Am  I the only one this paranoid?

No, I too always check, better safe than sorry.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
LOL :rofl:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
Am I the only one this paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
Just been putting the washing on - goes like this: check Xanthe is not in the machine already. Check she is not in the basket of dirty clothes. Load machine, shut door, add persil etc. Then go and find her so I know she hasn't teleported herself inside the machine somehow before I start it. I would never be careless with her (or anyone's)  safety but can you tell I come from two generations of worriers?  :rofl:

Link to CatChat