Author Topic: worried about eating habits  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: worried about eating habits
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 19:20:31 PM »
No, you are not supposed to be able to feel chips.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 19:16:16 PM »
MY four have chips but cant feel any of them..........I dont think its usual that chips can be felt.

Anddddddd no they havent migrated cos they are all scanned at their MOT to make sure  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 17:41:49 PM »
Have to admit I have fed a few other people's cats but when a cat with no collar or chip to be felt keeps asking you for food you assume it's a hungry stray!

My 6 have chips but only one can be felt!

A lady 2 doors up used to feed ^george^ roast chicken every sunday but as he used her as a food source while he was homeless i would have been very mean to stop his sunday treat.
It would annoy me if she started feeding the current lot tho, they have no excuse  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 14:22:15 PM »
try putting a paper collar on her asking other 'kind' strangers not to feed her and explaining your reasons (you want to ensure she has only a balanced diet which you can not do when others are feeding her). If that does not work, then a more direct approach might be called for. I would take the indirect approach first though unless you know the person well and are on good terms ...

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 14:01:13 PM »
I had thought that she'd maybe grown up & needed less food..she is coming home a lot more often smelling of a wood burning fire though..i don't like the idea of someone else feeding her as i have no control over what shes eating & drinking..however i can't really do much about it..although i have an idea who it is & i might have a little chat with her as she does know that Snooch is mine & that i look after really well.

Have to admit I have fed a few other people's cats but when a cat with no collar or chip to be felt keeps asking you for food you assume it's a hungry stray!

I kinda agree with what you say Steve & i would be tempted to feed other cats but i'm feeling really jealous at the moment to think that someone else is getting my Snooch's attention :(

Offline coffeefilms

• Adult Cat
    • Last of the Scottish Wildcats film website
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 14:23:10 PM »
If she's playing more and eating less it does suggest she's found a secondary source of food, if she was getting less than she needed she wouldn't have the energy to play all day, if you haven't noticed her losing weight and she seems happy and healthy I can't think what else there would be, as with the other cats in this thread perhaps she's hunting or has found someone else to feed her as well.

Perhaps someone else can confirm but I'm pretty sure my girls ate quite heavily as they got towards adulthood because of all the growing they were doing? Could be that too, maybe she's come to the end of a major growth spurt and just doesn't need as much?

Steve
The Scottish wildcat film; www.coffeefilms.com/scottishwildcats
The Scottish wildcat website; www.scottishwildcats.co.uk
The Mid Kent RSPCA website; www.midkentrspca.com

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 21:37:27 PM »
Ummmmmmmmm maybe lol

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 21:08:22 PM »
Its because i got a kitten pack when i got Snooch & it gave the recommended feeding amounts of being 2/3 pouches a day & around 50g of dry food from 40 weeks right through till around 18 months old..but i suppose each cat will have different eating habits...

When i said that i didn't think she'd go into anyone else's home..the ickle monkey came in tonight after being out for nearly an hour smelling of a log fire :shocked:..i hope this doesn't mean that the little trollop is tarting around another persons legs in the kitchen....

Offline coffeefilms

• Adult Cat
    • Last of the Scottish Wildcats film website
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 17:39:46 PM »
I think most outdoors cats find some other spots to get a meal, whether it's somewhere to hunt stuff, restaurant bins or some other cat loving soul in the street, I think 2-3 pouches is more than mine have so maybe it was just being stuck inside a bit more often through winter and being bored?

Steve
The Scottish wildcat film; www.coffeefilms.com/scottishwildcats
The Scottish wildcat website; www.scottishwildcats.co.uk
The Mid Kent RSPCA website; www.midkentrspca.com

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 22:30:53 PM »
I think she is fine then  ;D

Just keep an eye on her.

Kocka used to sneak into my neigbiours house and she was found sleeping on her bed. One day she had a friend round and they were having dinner outside and to my horror I saw Kocka on her hind legs with her paws on the table........they were having chicken of course  :rofl: :rofl:

Cats dont have to be fed by someone else, iy maybe they have a cat flap and inside the house there is food for their cat and perfume can come from lying somewhere snuggly that they didnt ought to be  ;D

Maye Thief comes to mind  :shify:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 17:20:19 PM »
I sometimes suspect Jameson is being fed elsewhere, but I will never know for sure, although one time he came back smelling of food (and other womens perfume - how dare they take my baby indoors!!!). I really dislike it when people feed other peoples cats, especially because Jameson is well looked after and loved, I rather keep track on his meals myself and I don't like the idea of him being indoors somewhere else, I worry about his safety. Luckily this doesn't happen often, and he usually comes back for his dinner and eats all of it, but now for example, he hasn't finished his dinner from last night, or his breakfast this morning. He has been really active and bouncy today so I'm wondering how come he hasn't eaten? He is now snoozing, looking like a pork pie, so maybe he had a large mouse for breakfast or something?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 13:58:00 PM »
Is she an outside cat ?
She is an outdoor cat & i did think that she might be getting fed elsewhere..however shes scared of her own shadow, so i dont think that she'd enter another house..i hope not anyway

She sounds like your willow,Mark i have the same scenario, telling Snooch that i've put food down for her & taking her too it, i'll try staying with her until shes eaten something ;D

Theres no obvious change in her appearance or personality, shes still as crazy as ever..shes around 4 months in this pic Gill, wont let me take her photo now!

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 23:47:01 PM »
No this section is fine  ;D

I think that she was getting a bit too much food before and think that if she eats one pouch  a day plus a good dry food that should be fine.  ;D

However we need to see a picture of her of course so we can judge  :rofl: :rofl:

You also may find that as the weather has gone warmer she may not eat as much as usual.  Does she seem well in all other respects. not losing weight or probs with fur?

If she has any other kind of symptoms that may be unusual it would be best to ask your vet  ;D

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 23:16:59 PM »
Is she an outside cat ?
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 22:36:28 PM »
Willow is like that. I realised tonight that she hadn't eaten all day - although she does have a crafty nibble of Clapton's food so it's hard to tell. I have to go through the carrying her round like a baby and telling her I have got something special for her and put some more food out - usually if I put it on the kitchen table or something she will eat. Also, I find staying with her while she eats helps as well - and saying "good girl" etc   :shy:

She weighs less than 3kg so doesn't need that much. Other than that, she is full of energy and physically the healthiest of them all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 22:37:38 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 22:26:08 PM »
Sorry...just realised i've posted this in the wrong section...i am new..please forgive ;D

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
worried about eating habits
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 22:22:47 PM »
hey there..i might just be worrying over nothing..it would be good to get someone Else's opinion though..please tell me if i'm just being stupid! :doh:

Snooch is 10 months old now & used to eat quite well, at least 2/3 pouches a day + dry food..now i'm lucky if i can get her to eat 1 pouch..shes very happy in herself & is very active throughout the day ;D I don't know if shes just got better things to do than eat at the moment, i.e playing...sometimes i have to take her to her food because it seems like shes forgotten that its there...she never asks for food either..or could there be something wrong..if she is more interested in playing at the moment, will she be ok on such little food? :scared:

Link to CatChat