Author Topic: Becky  (Read 35312 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Becky
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 21:15:50 PM »
The vet i saw said plain cereal bran but i have a tub of nutrifyba which doesnt smell as strong as bran so im using that.

Sean's vets don't use glue and again with the way she is with her skin, would it irritate her?
I guess shes gonna be one of these you dont know til you do it cats.
At least you know she will be in good hands with sean  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 20:51:23 PM »
Bizarre  :-:
Would glue be better for her wound than stitches?

Does she have solid poo, cos that should clear them naturally. If she is loose then her glands filling up would be expected as nothing is rubbing past them  :rofl:
Tabitha had to have hers emptied last week and the vet reckoned a dog would have been proud  :sick: she said i could try adding some fibre to her wet food to bulk things out more.

Sean's vets don't use glue and again with the way she is with her skin, would it irritate her?  She's a nightmare, I have all these worries and with her being done Friday, I am concerned about how she's going to be with the wound over the weekend as I'm in work  :sigh:  Her poo's are solid but Sean said she can still get problems with them if the food doesn't agree with her system   :-:  He said if she was a dog, he would suggest weetabix sprinkled on her food, my response was she isn't a dog so the info was useless  :sneaky:

I'm going to see how she is tomorrow, if there's any improvement, Sean is happy to spay her and I've told him I will trust him but I'm obviously worried about her  :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 20:44:57 PM »
Bizarre  :-:
Would glue be better for her wound than stitches?

Does she have solid poo, cos that should clear them naturally. If she is loose then her glands filling up would be expected as nothing is rubbing past them  :rofl:
Tabitha had to have hers emptied last week and the vet reckoned a dog would have been proud  :sick: she said i could try adding some fibre to her wet food to bulk things out more.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 20:16:20 PM »
I've got her booked in on Friday for her spay but I'm still not sure  :tired:  She's been in to see Sean tonight as she's still taking chunks out of herself  :sneaky:  She still has the lump from a couple of weeks ago when she had her injection, it has a huge scab over it and bruising to her ears where she been scratching as well  :tired:  I'm worried how she's going to react to a cut, her skin is really thin and I'm not too sure what decision to make  :notlisten:  Sean said he can understand what I'm saying so basically he's given her a hormone jab as he's thinking more hormonal, and he said there should be some improvement by tomorrow.  The jab he gave her last time obviously didn't work so this has got to be worth a go.  If I'm happy, to take her in Friday and if not, leave her a week and then get her in  :tired:  The other concern I have is whether her skin will handle being pulled together and stitched, I meant to ask but she was a little minx having her jabs and we got sidetracked.  On checking her anal glands again, they were full  :Crazy:  I'm not sure what the next step is with these as Sean does not agree with removing them, he's suggested I change her diet as the Royal Canin may not be agreeing with her but if this is the case, I'm going to have to change the whole  :censored: lot again :shocked:  Why can't life be  :censored: simple  :sneaky:

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »
Keep up the good work, Becky ;D :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 06:17:38 AM »
Glad there are no more new cuts.  Isn't she beautifully marked?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 00:57:49 AM »
A couple more piccies of Becky, you can see where she's been nibbling her fur  :sneaky:  Still not a lot of change but she's not had any new cuts for a few days so that's got to be a good thing  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 20:08:06 PM »
Thanks for that Des, I hope it isn't diet related as it would mean changing all their food again  :sneaky:  From what your friend has said, it could possibly be behavioural though rather than diet, but with the hormone side, I won't know until she's been done and the hormones have settled.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 11:14:02 AM »
Got a response - hers started after she was spayed, rather than before, and may also be diet related. This is what has helped, might be worth seeing Sean about - this person is in the UK

took her to the vet immediately and got an anti bacterial steroid cream for the infection and the steroids to make it stop itching. Using that for a week was enough to clear the infection and she stopped overgrooming it and the hair grew back. Last time though it took 2 weeks on the cream for it to heal.

And this

From what I've heard the behavioural type of overgrooming tends to spread in area on the cat. I.e they'll end up licking their entire belly bald or their side or wherever they're going for. The allergy type of overgroomin tends to be more focused and because the cat is itching they keep going even after it starts hurting.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:05:21 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 20:31:54 PM »
Hopefully spaying will clear it up. Check with Sean but i should imagine she would just have a smaller dose as small humans can have it  :-:

You could clip her claws so they are blunter, cases like this is where soft paws can be useful, pink ones of course  ;)

Starflower oil is also useful for skin and hormones

Thanks hun, I may text him later.  With her claws, I think I'll have to wait until she goes in and she's knocked out, she's a little minx when I'm trying to do anything with her.  I may get Sean to try next time she's in because she's pretty good for him  :sneaky:  I'll have a read up about the Starflower oil  :thanks:

If only she knew blunt claws would be nicer  :innocent:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 20:28:41 PM »
Thanks Des  :hug:  I'll try anything at the moment, she's driving me mad and I don't want her hurting herself with all the gouging   :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 20:26:32 PM »
Have sent a pm, will see what she comes back with.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 20:25:29 PM »
Hopefully spaying will clear it up. Check with Sean but i should imagine she would just have a smaller dose as small humans can have it  :-:

You could clip her claws so they are blunter, cases like this is where soft paws can be useful, pink ones of course  ;)

Thanks hun, I may text him later.  With her claws, I think I'll have to wait until she goes in and she's knocked out, she's a little minx when I'm trying to do anything with her.  I may get Sean to try next time she's in because she's pretty good for him  :sneaky:  I'll have a read up about the Starflower oil  :thanks:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 20:22:20 PM »
Thanks Des, the breeder is also getting onto a mate of hers as well who has this problem with one of her stud boys to see what she's used for him, his apparently is a hormone problem though.  I don't think it's behavioural with Becky but I won't know until she's been spayed and then not for a few weeks  :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 20:20:23 PM »

Around the neck etc is an easy place for frantic back foot scratching   :Dont know: You could clip her claws so they are blunter, cases like this is where soft paws can be useful, pink ones of course  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 20:18:02 PM »
There is someone on the US forum who had a Bengal with this problem, but hers was behavioural (she was an only cat) - a lot of interactive play and possibly something else helped her a lot, will pm her and see how they determined it with hers.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 20:14:52 PM »
Piriton can help itchy skin, worth mentioning to uncle sean...

Can this be used on kittens?  She has got another big sore on her neck where she's been scratching whilst I've been in work  :sneaky:  If this is an allergy, I can't understand why all the cuts she's getting are round her neck, chin and face, with her legs and belly, she just plucks the fur out and has only had a couple of sores  :-:  Just spoke to the breeder and she reckons hormonal as well  :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 19:56:21 PM »
Piriton can help itchy skin, worth mentioning to uncle sean...

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 13:51:46 PM »
Aww poor babe - might be worth investing in some ecoballs for washing their stuff (and some of yours  :evillaugh:) they work using magic or something so nothing to cause an allergy.  Hope she's ok. 

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 13:49:18 PM »
Poor baby! she is so cute! hope you sort the itching out soon :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 13:12:30 PM »
Poor Becky. There's nothing much worse than a constant itch, is there. Hope she's soon feeling more comfy. :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 06:22:44 AM »
Hope the meds soon kick in, it's horrible when you are itchy.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »
Becky's still nibbling like mad but I texted Sean and he said the jab she had should start kicking in soon  :tired:  I'm just a little concerned to how her skin is going to react to an incision when she's spayed as well, she has a large lump just from having the jab on Wednesday  :scared:  She's booked in with Benjy for a week on Wednesday, hopefully her skin will be a lot better by then.  She's not going to need much shaving though as she's pulled most of the fur out on her legs and on her tummy  :sneaky:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »
poor little Becky hope it gets sorted my friends cat has a food allergy and it was a real pain to get under control

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »
No, don't use anything like that, I have a dog who suffers from allergies as well so I have to be careful.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 07:08:25 AM »
Dawn, this is just a thought but one of my dogs once developed a really itchy skin.  Eventually tracked the cause down to carpet freshener.  Do you use that?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 23:14:25 PM »
Becky's been to see Uncle Sean again and he thinks she's suffering from some form of allergy  :tired:  She's had a long acting anti inflammatory which hopefully should stop the nibbling and last about 6 weeks and then she'll have to go back in again for a check up.  He said bedding wise, to wash in Fairy non bio just in case the powder I use is irritating her and also to get her some Omega 3 oils as her skin is extremely dry which may also make her itch.  Some of this could also be hormonal so he's advised getting her in in about 10 days for spaying  :scared:  She is old enough now but she's soooooo tiny bless her, hopefully she should be okay.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »
good luck baby Becky!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 06:46:24 AM »
Hope things go well with the vet visit today for little Becky.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 22:10:05 PM »
Becky is having to go back to see Uncle Sean tomorrow, she's still nibbling like mad and has made a nice big sore under her neck  :tired:  I'm not sure what's causing it as she's had anal glands done twice and Sean Frontlined her the other day as well incase it was some form of mite that she had.  The breeder is convinced she's got a skin infection but funnily enough none of hers have suffered from this, although Becky was full of scratches and cuts when I got her  :sneaky:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 14:31:03 PM »
See what you mean about the size difference Dawn but she's the prettiest rat I've ever seen  ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 19:26:12 PM by CarolM (Wendolene) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »
I think Linda said the males tend to grow a lot faster but in comparison Becky seems so delicate bless her  :Luv:   I'll try and get a piccie of her later standing up, her whole stance doesn't seem right but Sean said she is healthy so not to worry about her .  I'm not sure if it's normal for the breed but her joints are extremely supple as well, when you stroke her back, she immediately bends her spine sort of inwards with her bum half way off the floor and she'll stay like that for ages whilst you are stroking her  :shy:  Even if she's not perfect, she is to me and I love her to bits  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
there is a difference but tbh my Tilly was quite small until she reached about 18 months and then became a monster overnight!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
Pics aren't brilliant, but you can see the difference in size with the two of them  :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 00:19:19 AM »
lol  ohhh Dawn... the little tike!!  at least you put your mind at ease and I'm sure Sean understood!!

He was fine about it, he thinks she's pretty cute anyway  :Luv:  I do worry about her a little bit though, she's pretty healthy in herself but her body shape is a little odd  :shify:  Sean was saying today, she's definitely a runt and seems shorter in body than the normal Bengals.  He said he prefers them like that as she seems more compact  :evillaugh:  She is growing but there's a hell of a difference in size between her and Benjy now, Becky always reminds me of a rat on stilts but very cute with it  ;)  I'm just going to keep an eye on her and hopefully today, she was probably feeling a little under the weather, she's absolutely fine now and at this moment giving herself a good wash whilst sat on my knee  :Luv:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 22:47:41 PM »
Glad everything was ok ;D

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 22:45:52 PM »
lol  ohhh Dawn... the little tike!!  at least you put your mind at ease and I'm sure Sean understood!!

It does give you quite a scare when they start wailing or take ill suddenly.  Glad to hear she is OK though.   hopefully you can laugh about it now!  ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 22:31:29 PM »
Yes better safe than sorry always - glad everythings ok.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 22:06:40 PM »
Me too, I wouldn't mind but Sean was doing ops in the back, and I'd dragged him out to check a drama queen  :evillaugh:  She's been her normal self since coming home but it's better to be safe than sorry, I was really worried about the little tyke  :Luv:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 22:04:52 PM »
What a scare, glad she is ok

Link to CatChat