Author Topic: What would you do? Wandering tom causing havoc! Updated!  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: What would you do? Wandering tom causing havoc! Updated!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 15:16:29 PM »
Shame that you cannot accidental put your details on the chip registration form, then if he turns up again you will receive the phone call from the vet.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 13:24:57 PM »
Such a shame you had to give him back, but at least he is neutered and has had some treatment.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:32:38 AM »
After my recent, very positive, experience with the RSPCA, I'd be inclined to give them a ring. At least the attitude in B'ham seems to be that if the cat is being looked after, they help with any costs as they have with my ferals. I think they would give advice and notice to 'clean her act up' re this bruiser, before taking him. The Brum branch have room in their homing pens at the mo, maybe her cat could be rehomed by them.

She might be more prepared to sign over to them. Even though they have no more legal clout than any other animal charity (according to a site I read, which may be out of date) peeps do think that they have police type powers.

It might be worth suggesting this to whoever reported the cat in the first instance.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 19:55:11 PM »
Surely someone cannot be that ignorant >:(

I think the word you are looking for is 'feckless' - animal welfare not a priority, but would probably be deeply offended if any suggestion was made about lack of responsibility!!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »
The best thing would be for this poor animal to go to a new owner. Surely someone cannot be that ignorant >:(

Well done for catching the cat and sorting it out. If the cat goes back the woman should have him on condition she pays the bill and made to realise her responsibilities.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 18:02:13 PM »
That's really sad.  People like her shouldn't be allowed to keep animals

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: What would you do? Wandering tom causing havoc! Now we find the owner!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 17:49:53 PM »
Well then surprise, surprise Edgars owners turned up after giving proof that he was hers.... After keeing Sharn waiting for an hour (they got lost!, may of ended up in Coventry!!) he is now going back home. The dippy women (who is so dippy) she shouldnt be allowed to have kids, t hought it was all fun and games and i suspect will not take a blind bit of notice about the havoc this cat has caused. Ozzy (thats his name) is 8yrs old, i am surprised that puss survived Canterbury rds if you look where she lives.. Nr the main ringroad!

No donation (of course not).
I doubt he will visit a vet the rest of his life, unless he gets run over!

Anyhows i will ring the lady that reported him to us tonight to tell her. Of course not to say names or addresses, but if puss causes havoc in the future she only needs to get him to a vet to confirm the owner due to a chip now in him. Its then a civil matter.. unless of course we can prove neglet or cruelty

Puss was still grumpy! He has been wormed and flead but i doubt he will get any more treatment, and as for going back to have second vac, well i doubt it!

i doubt she will keep him in at all and he will be back to roaming tomorrow night.

Some we loose!

In this instance we didnt really have a choice not to give him back..

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 18:05:44 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 19:27:57 PM »
I quite like Angie's idea. Unless he has distinctive markings or scars on his nose/ears, then one ginger tom looks much the same as the next. In addition, as he can not be handled, then I would express concern for her well-being. As for the bills, I would certainly try it on if it gets that far - basically imply that you cannot release him without covering costs (how long did it take for her to start calling around?), and kennelling fees to boot! Also explain that she should count herself lucky she is not being hit up for the vet costs of the animals he beat up - now that you know who owns him ..  :evillaugh:

Make her suffer, I say.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 17:32:53 PM »
I would give the bill, thats often enough for 'owner' to sign the cat over

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 17:27:14 PM »
forgot to say also mention rspca and cruelty in he same sentence as well......

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 16:40:59 PM »
If she can read, sell her a book about cat care before you hand him back. Personally, I'd be inclined to hold her to ransom for the costs incurred.

Hopefully she's ignorant but willing to learn, and not being deliberately neglectful.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 16:06:08 PM »
She is getting a photo for us tomorrow..  to verify it is him.

I was going to get the vet to send a bill staight to her if it is her cat, have done it before on a case, they paid up as far as i know.

She didnt mention she was hard up or anything just a daft cow!!!

He is now chipped as well so he will be registered in her name and address, so any more bother from him and neighbour cats they will know who the owner is.. ?

Anyhows... two daft cows today is more then i can handle (see my other thread)!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 15:59:54 PM »
I would defo try to sting her for the vets bill .

Not sure how legal it is. Can she prove ownership? does she have a photograph?

"sorry mrs thicko, as you cannot prove this is your cat and this one seems to have been neglected we can't return him to you. If however you would like to adopt him we would be asking for a donation of £xx to help recover vet bills and he won't be ready for another 2 weeks until after his injections and of course thats all dependant on the home visit"

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 15:56:58 PM »
would be interested what happens, my friends cat is at the receiving end of a similar owned but uncared for bully (my friend did catch him and flea treat him when his hair all fell out but he escaped from the garage before his neutering appointment that she had booked)

• Super Cat
What would you do? Wandering tom causing havoc! Updated!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 15:53:44 PM »
This is just a what would you do question?
We had a call 2 wks ago abit a bruiser of a puss that came round late at night and beat up the all cats in the street. He was also wailing alot and generally causng havoc. The lady that reported  him put notices up and contacted neighbours etc. He wasnt a cat that was easy to handle so we lent her a trap.. He always appeared at night.... Puss took 2 wks to catch and went to the vets on Friday, scan for chip, blood test, neuter and chip and first vac. He is a full tom full of bites and scratches and not happy. Full of fleas and worms and pongs alot!

He is has been in our pens since then after been given all clear at vets. The lady that reported him was very happy that life can now return to normal..

So this morning, we "may" have the cats owner on the phone... !

She describes him well, but never thought to neuter him, hasnt flead or wormed him since a kitten. Always goes out at night and comes in first thing in the morning, is relatively young despite looking much older. She pleads innocence toall the damage his has caused...

Wel gave her the riot act on the phone, but if he is her cat we have to give him back. But i am wondering if we should send her the vet bills?
Probably £70 quid at least (plus our neutering)..

Not sure we can do that..

He is a fiesty puss and we cannot touch him at the moment, so if he is her own cat he should reconginise him.. We have suggested that he needs to go to the vets for the 2nd vac etc and yearly MOTS, all she pleads as ignorance, as she didnt realise...

Anyhows.. what do people thinl? Anyone had this scenerio before?

Its not cruelty as he has been given attention and isnt skinny or anything, just ignorance to his needs and the damage  he has caused to other cats?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 17:50:21 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat