Author Topic: how many is too many  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: how many is too many
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 17:51:14 PM »
As the others have said, there isn't a magic number, and the biggest thing you have to consider is vets bills - while insurance is a wonderful thing, the majority of vets have to be paid up front and the money claimed back, so you still need to be able to find money quickly, and the other thing you have to consider is that if you get young cats of a similar age, they are all going to hit old age at the same time, so while cost might not be an issue now, you do have to think long term. There is also the time aspect, they do all need to have enough attention. My limit for personal cats is 2, as I generally have one that costs me a fortune at the vets, and I wouldnt want to compromise any of their health by not being able to afford the best.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 17:38:02 PM »
i've found a comfy limit with my 3 guinea pigs, two cats and a hamster! any more and be forever cleaning up after them.

This also considers the cost of feeding, i spent about £25 a month on fresh food, dry food and Hay for 3 guinea pigs, hamster about £3 a month the moggies starting with insurance approx £13 for both, then Food & Litter probably another £30 but i bulk buy when i get the chance. then vet bills on top which they're both having full vacs at the moment - aren't i lucky!  ;D 

I would love as many animals as i could afford - as much as my heart would want more! I have to be realistic!
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 17:32:01 PM »
I think all of us would love more cats but its a point of thinking with your head and not your heart.   Its hard though x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 17:28:32 PM »
not panicking, just responding to the question - glad if I have been of help in any way ...

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 17:17:38 PM »
black cat no need to panic i will not be adding another little fur babe to this household as much as i would like to guess i just had my head up in the clouds today so you can breath a sigh of relief.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 17:09:09 PM »
Ooh I don't know - we live in a quite large 1 bedroom apartment (very spacious) with a big garden, and I think for us, 2 cats would be absolute maximum (although my boyfriend thinks 1 kitty is enough - I still would love to adopt another little soul). We are also planning on getting a (small) dog and my boyfriend is really worried that our place is going to turn into a zoo.
Though, maybe the golden rule should be; as long as you have the space, money and dedication only the sky is the limit!!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 17:03:39 PM »
and if your cats are indoor cats then once the balance is tipped, it is hard to regain the equilibrium, even if you remove the additional cat ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 16:44:10 PM »
If you do get another, have a home visit from a rescue and get their opinion on what they think should fit into your existing family.
I have the space for more but if i were to add number 7 i would have to choose so carefully or id tip the balance, which at the moment is very good.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 14:53:45 PM »
they all have there favourite places to chill out gimlee has the wardrobe phoenix has the bed (spare room) patch has the coat stand or now the top of the door plus the large living room ooh i don't no what to do now I'm so confused :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 14:46:21 PM »
I think space is really important, especially if you have indoor cats - they need to know that they can have time out from each other if necessary, you also need somewhere to put all those litter trays LOL! My 11 all go outside and my house is a two storey 3 bed, lounge, dining room, kitchen not bad size - but I still think they havent go enough space and am even considering converting my garage into an extra room for them!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 15:31:55 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 14:19:01 PM »
i know when we got the twins we had a couple of probs but no biggies gimlee would hiss at them but that was all he did the same with phoenix's kittens (before she came to us) but now he will happily chase and play with them he is very laid back this all disolved its self with in a couple of weeks. i feel bad now as i have four in a 2 bed flat so i guess it's back to the drawing board oh well

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 14:07:30 PM »
I own 7 cat but Sofa and Freddy live with my parents in Gloucester as Sofa is pretty much blind and she knows everywhere and they live inthe country in the middle of nowhere and so Sofa is not at threat of cars, etc.   Freddy became Sofa's closest cat and he is very  settled and so when I moved off my parents land sounds more posh than it is) it was kinder to leave them with my parents for Sofas good as she is an old soul and the unhealve would have been awful for her.    I still pay their insurance though.    Sofa is on a lot of meds also which cost a lot.

We have 5 living with my husband and I, Poppy is the newest and came to us when we moved into this house because the new house was big enough to accomodate 5.   Our house is a 3 story 3 bedroom, 2 front room house so its pretty damn large and they all have places they can escape form each other when they want.    All 5 are insured also.

Foodwise they cost a lot, especially due to vet diets, and the insurance for 7 hits around the £100 mark each month but obviously ou have to pay out firstly for any veterinary stuff.

I think how many is too many when they start fighting, aggressive behaviour comes out plus you start getting toileting problems - as someones already said.     Cats will soon tell you when you have 1 too many.    The size of the environment they live in is important too and yes overall costs for everything - it can be bloody damn expensive but me and my husband make sure the cats are sorted first then comes us  :evillaugh:    My cats are my world, my husband knows that.

I would say with just food and insurance a month you are looking at around £200 minimum and thats without any extras or possible vets costs.      Flea treatment and wormers for the 7 ever 3 months is easily £100.   It adds up.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 13:58:48 PM »
insurance is no problem

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 13:57:00 PM »
it is more a matter of how much you have to spend, than how you spend it I think. Are your present babes insured? if not, could you afford to insure them? That's the sort of question you need to be asking yourself, not whether another cat would be nice, but can I care for it?

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 13:55:11 PM »
well at the mo we have four indoors 3 males 1 female hypothetically i would like to get another female for phoenix as i think she finds the boys a bit to much for her at times she has come on leaps and bounds since we got her but she did not have a good year last year till she came here.
should i forget it . as for financial side of things we don't go out at all very rarely and i tend to spend my money on them rather than myself not a big one for material possesions due to a house fire when i was younger I'd rather have them than all the gizmo's in the world

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 13:53:30 PM »
It is a sort of complex mathematical sequence that you only know you have overloaded when it starts to break down. I would base it on:
ability to afford quality food and vet care/insurance
amount of time available to provide quality care (with anticipation of future lifestyle impacts)
ability of each individual cat to cope with sharing with others (particularly if they are indoor cats and can not escape from each other)

For example, in my case i have also had to factor in the potential costs of relocation back overseas should I return to Oz during their lifetime.

You know when you have exceeded your limits because one or more cats starts exhibiting antisocial behaviour such as unaccustomed aggression, peeing everywhere and coming up with new and creative ways to feign illness ...

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 13:45:37 PM »
I personally don't think about 'space' but how much quality time you can spend with them.

I have 3 in a 2 bed semi.  Even though they are indoor there is definitely enough space for a couple more.  But, I work full time and live on my todd.  If I got another then one of then I will be splitting my time again and I feel Fabes especially will suffer as he is the shy one.

Also, my Mum has said she couldn't cope when I go on holiday looking after 5 incl her own - what a spoilsport eh!  :shify:

There are also the financial considerations.

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
how many is too many
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 13:37:52 PM »
i was just wondering your view on how many cats is too many in a flat or house for that matter

Link to CatChat