Author Topic: Little visitor, not sure what to do  (Read 8455 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Little visitor, not sure what to do
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2008, 18:05:26 PM »
They are required for insurance as Desley says, excepting when your vet says that they must not be given.

My vet does not vaccinate older cats against leukemia as they usually have an immunity to it by the time they get to 8yrs old, especially if they have been outside and mixed with other cats.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2008, 17:43:49 PM »
HK, vacc's are required for insurance, but there is a disclaimer that if your pet isn't vacc'd, you wont be covered for any treatment relating to it (which isn't really the best, as no vaccine is 100% effective, the FeLV vaccine is only 85% effective). I actually disagree that it would become extinct, as you can't possibly vaccinate every cat against it, there isn't enough money and resources to trap and neuter every feral, never mind vacc (and vacc's need two courses to be effective, so they can't even be fully covered when neutered).
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2008, 17:07:14 PM »
I agree with you Gill, as I always ask the question, "what would I do if the cat is positive?" I couldn't pts just for this, although that's the policy of many CP branches, including B'ham, it would just make the vacc for FLV pointless. I'd rather vaccinate regardless. If everyone vaccinated their cats against this, then it would become extinct in the way smallpox is, and no one was 'culled' to get rid of that.  I don't know whether a test is required by insurers.

If you must test, make sure it's the virus isolation, not the in house test.

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »
Good luck for his op, and if you feel better having bloods done, then do so.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 20:25:34 PM »
Well he has been to vet today for health check.  No obvious major probs except ear infection and mites!  Got some drops and he was very good just now when he had his first dose.

Is going in for the chop op next Friday and vet will do all bloods then just so we know he has a clean bill of health ready for being insured.  It may not be necessasry, probably isn't, but it will make me feel better and as he is going in anyway it can be done then.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2008, 19:51:29 PM »
Purrrsonally I would not have bloods done cos so many of us get our cats from recues, Cp etc and how many of them have been tested?

I know mine were not and Kocka my first cat was not, until she was ill but then all tests were negative which then caused a problem, cos nobody knew what was wrong with her.

I would only get bloods done if the cat was showing signs of illness but am sure others will disagree.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »
I'm glad you are seeing what happens, my oh found our cat bluto as a 4 week old feral and hand fed him and everything and when he was pts at the age of 14 I never thought he would accept another cat, we now have 4!  see how things go and if you decide to get the dog as well I'm sure everyone will get used to the idea

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »
I think getting him done is a good idea and then, if you decide, bloods can be taken just to rule out FIV/Felv.  I have always got strays vaccinated when they have come to me, my vets have never suggested there would be a problem if they were already vaccinated, I think it is best to be safe than sorry.

You're doing wonderfully well taking him in and I think taking one day at a time is the best way to go at the moment. :hug:

Well done Charlie ;)
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 06:33:23 AM »
LOL are you all rooting for Charlie then?  Black Cat I think you are right that my posts say more than I do.  I think he will stay if we don't locate his owner or he doesn't decide to move on. 

So far as vaccinations etc are concerned.  All mine were done from kittens etc how do I know if he has been done and would having him done again (if he had been done)harm him>

Also do you think it would be a good idea to get his bloods done and check he is not carrying or harbouring anything?

Am going to book him in for next week to have his bits removed as that will give him time to be claimed.  If he is claimed think I will have to have a word with his owner about his general care though (probably tell me to mind my own business).

I have agonised about this truly I have.  I think you are right he is a gift from Dragan.  Will keep you posted.

Can I just say here that I am so grateful to all of you on this board for the help, support, kindness and friendship you have given me throughout my time here.  You are a lovely lot.  :hug: :thanks:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 20:37:50 PM »
I tend to agree with most of the others on here, Dragon has sent him to you !

I do though totally understand that you feel you arnt ready for another cat just yet. When my stray cat Skaggy died another stray cat turned up the very next morning....1yr on and he is still here lol curled up on Sons bed as i type this !!

I do think you should put some posters up though but either way he needs to be "done" before he catches FIV or something.

Take it a day at a time......Big kisses to Charlie xxxxx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 20:23:49 PM »
I agree, your posts say more than you are willing to admit to your self. this wee one has turned up at a time when you need to have something to care for but you are denying yourself because of some pre-conception about 'appropriate mourning periods'. Well they went out with the Victorians. This fella is clearly making himself at home not only in your physical space, but also in your heart. I suggest you just keep going the way you are going for another week or two, and then, if you still feel you have to rehome him, he can come to mine if you can release him without crying.. If you can give him away after two weeks with no concern then you were not ready for him. I'm betting I will be stuck with the two cats I have. ;)

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
  • R.I.P.Tigger Sept95--30/1/08-much loved & missed
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 20:16:39 PM »
This is what i think: Dragon has guided Charlie to you cos he knows how you need to have an animal to love,and as for worrying about keeping him AND getting the pup! go for it! i once had 2 cats and a dog and they got on great-no fights or spit and hairs flying! i know you feel you are betraying Dragon, and i would feel the same, but remember--you may regret it if you don't, it will take a few weeks for them to settle down.
First i had Lassie, then Marmy came[my first cat] i was a bit worried at first haveing a cat and dog together, but in the end Marmy thought Lassie was his mum! they used to cuddle up together, then Tigger came, then Marmy had to be pts yrs later, so there was just Lassie and Tigger but he would'nt cuddle up with her, then Lassie passed away, then Meg came, and as you know, Tigger has now gone, so now there is just Meg.

anyway, i would think about it---don't you think it strange that this cat turns up out of the blue just as Dragon has passed on? sounds like an omen to me!!!!

Chris.

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 18:15:14 PM »
I think cats often chose us as their human rather than us being in control.Even thinking we're in control is laughable really,we're so not.

I would see it as an honour to have been chosen by Charlie as his human and surely one Dragan has had a hand in.He whispered,'hey go to that human,she's a right sucker for a cute cat mate'  ;)

We're all doomed to an eternity of cat servant duty.Accept it as your fate  :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 17:42:04 PM »
Where a cat is needed, a cat will appear.

You need this cat, he needs you. You gave Dragan your care and love, so you aren't betraying him by taking in a little one who so desperately wants to be your cat.

Reading between the lines, I think you want to give him a home.

My only reservation would be that he has obviously been someones cat, even though not well looked after. Probably someone who has moved or passed over. It is possible that as an unneutered tom, he's wandered a bit too far looking for love and lost his bearings.

By the way, it's about time he had those 'bearings' chopped off!  :shocked:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 17:29:56 PM »
I understand how you feel and everyone is different and for sure Charlie is making it hard for you.  :hug:

I needed a cat immediately after Kocka went to the bridge and emailed CP the next day cos I was so lost. Misa and Sasa arrived 5 days later and just visiting the cats midweek made me feel human again.

I just needed cats in my house again and its not a betrayal its what Kocka would have wanted. She was like Charlie and turned up to me a cat hater and used to break into my house when I was out. She decided she wanted to live with me and I am so pleased that she did.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 14:56:32 PM »
Only you will know how you feel and when the time is right to share some of Dragan's love. When I lost Tiggy after almost 19 years together I was absolutely devastated, I chose the boys just a week after she had left for the Bridge (although they didn't come home until they were 10 weeks old) and although I was very excited at the same time I felt guilty and was worried that I might stop loving her.  I needn't have worried, the boys are just the funniest, lovliest little things and I am head over heels in love with them but that doesn't stop me loving Tiggy.  She will always be my special girl and I have enough love to share between them  :Luv:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 14:50:57 PM »
The saga continues.  Before I went out at 9ish the weather had improved so I put him outside to toilet etc and left the cat flap open.  When I got home just a while ago he was dozing on one of my dining room chairs.  He has eaten (but nothing like as ravenously as previously) and is now snoozing by the fire in the dining room.  think I will just let him come and go as he pleases for now, see if we can trace an owner and see how I feel a week on.

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 14:37:10 PM »
You are the best person to know whether you are ready to have another cat Maddiesmum, but, and this is for info only,  we had 2 shih tzu's with 2 cats and never had any problems with them together.   Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be the right thing for you.  :hug: :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »
You are not betraying Dragan at all, maybe Dragan is helping you with his loss by sending Charlie. :Luv2:  and puppies are really easy at adapting to kitties, I should know, 27 cats and 7 dogs  :rofl:

Do not feel guilty at Charlie turning up, if you are not ready for another cat, then you are still doing a wonderful thing by re-homing him with your neighbour, do not feel pressured to take him but also feel happy that Dragan has sent you such a wonderful sign. :Luv: :Luv: he knows it's the wrong time of year for a rainbow.

Although Charlie managed to stay the night when he was not supposed to, you do not sound sooo objectionable about it  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:51:18 AM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 07:45:43 AM »
MM, if you dont feel ready to take on another cat, then rehome him with your neighbour, you are still making sure he has a good home, and dont let people on here make you think you have to keep him, if you aren't ready, you aren't doing the best thing for him, I have taken cats on too soon, and it is very hard to accept them and I wouldnt recommend it. Shih Tzu's are very friendly dogs, and all the ones I have met are happy to sleep on your knee and bed, so it is a good 'substitute'.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:08 AM »
Hhmph well "Charlie" stayed the night!  He had his bellyfull and then came upstairs and snoozed on the bed.  When I woke up this morning he was downstairs ready for breakfast.  After feeding him I tried to let him out as I currently have no litter tray (having disposed of Dragan's when he died).  Little minx refused point blank to set foot outside the door as it is windy and raining and looked so upset at the thought. I just wanted him to pop in the garden to wee and poo and then he could have come back in.  I don't know what to do!  He has been playing with a catnip mouse and is now lying on the rug in the dining room.

I truly do not feel ready to have another cat so soon after Dragan - I feel as if I am betraying Dragan and wont let "Charlie" use any of his stuff.

I have to go out for about 4 hours today and am worried about what to do with him.  If it was good weather I would put him in the garden and leave the flap open but it's horrendous outside.  Whoa is me, such a dilemma.

I must add that I have the opportunity of a Shih Tzu pup at the end of April (this is a breed I always wanted) and have sort of made up my mind that this will be an acceptable option to this feeling of betraying Dragan.  If "Charlie" stays here then I am going to have all the problems of introducing him to a pup etc.  HELP :Crazy:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:15:09 AM by Maddiesmum »

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 20:17:02 PM »
Dragan would be very proud of you. :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 19:08:25 PM »
Yes I am afraid I do think.  Although he is beautiful and friendly and loving right now I am just not ready to have another cat in my life.  However I will see him right one way or another.

Just re-read and this post sounds a bit abrupt!  Didn't mean it to
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 19:17:03 PM by Maddiesmum »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 18:42:18 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm you think do you  :rofl: :rofl:

I bet he will choose in the end!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 18:40:39 PM »
Have now come up with a firm action plan.  Not taking pic as he is so pretty someone might say he is theirs.  Will still leaflet and if anyone phones will check description and ask them to describe collar.

If not claimed by Friday week he's in for the chop and will be re-homed with my neighbour Pat

Currently settled himself on a cushion on my sofa with a full belly.  Didn't want to go out.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 18:37:55 PM »
Well he needs neutering asap and yes now you have given him a name, I think you are sunk  ;D

I reckon that Dragan has a paw in this and its his message from the Bridge that Mr Charlie needs sorting out and help  :hug: :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 17:51:48 PM »
If he has a name im afraid you know your fate.....

Good work Charlie   :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 17:44:09 PM »
Just back from the vet's and she is an unneutered he.  Vet thinks about 12 months old.  Overall in good health but over run with ear mites.  Vet also thinks might have worms hence voracious appetite.  Does not appear in the vet's lost and found book.  Anyway vet gave me some stronghold for him which I have put on (much to his disgust) and his temporary name is Charlie.  Will take a pic of him and print out some leaflets and put a note on his collar.  If no response in 7 days will need to think again.  Meanwhile he is welcome to live between Nigel and Pat and visit me as I am not ready for another cat.  Does this sound sensible to everyone?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 17:23:18 PM »
I would stick a note on her collar.
Dont be surprised if you dont hear anything back, a stray doesnt have to be dirty and skinny as they are extremely smart at sourcing food from other peoples kitchens  :evillaugh:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 17:17:14 PM »
Hope you get some good news x
Caroline xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 16:54:57 PM »
Thanks for that Sam have had a good look but he/she isn't on it.  Hoping there will be a chip.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 16:15:52 PM »
Poor little soul she may be lost ....

Here is a list of missing cats in the Mancheter area from the National Pet Register .... (s)he may be on the list ; http://www.nationalpetregister.org/missing-cats/Greater-Manchester.php
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 16:18:22 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 15:44:58 PM »
Dont think so Dawn as she has only just appeared over the last couple of weeks.  Am going to try to get her in the cat basket and pop her to the local vet when he opens at 5pm.  We are a little worried as it is permanently hungry, nothing seems to satisfy its appetite.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 15:40:46 PM »
she's not from the house with loads of cats is she, she may not be getting her share of the food!

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 15:39:50 PM »
It might be worth just taking the newcomer to a local Vet and asking if they would just scan her for you, they should do that free of charge, if she is in such good condition she may have a chip.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 15:38:44 PM »
This is weird, suddenly Corky, one of my neighbour Nigel's cats has tried to get in through the cat flap!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 15:37:21 PM »
Yes it has only been around for about 3 weeks though, just suddenly appeared and has visited everyone regularly for food.  It is mad for affection and absolutely confident (smacked my neighbour's dog last night)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 15:32:29 PM »
Was this cat around before Dragan passed on? :Luv2:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 15:28:44 PM »
We know most of the local cats as we are a very cat friendly avenue (well most of us are).  everyone is wondering about this little one, it doesn't seem to be much older than 12 months and is always ravenous.  It is now washing itself on my dining room table and I am a little uncomfortable as I just lost Dragan and it feels odd.  I wouldn't throw it out though.  Will try the putting a note on its collar.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 15:24:15 PM »
It would be great to find out if the owner is still in the area, alive etc. It's possible that this was a loved pet, but the owner has passed on.... or something.

Link to CatChat