Author Topic: Hills prescription i/d cans: another change  (Read 2958 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Hills prescription i/d cans: another change
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
Many thanks Mark, that's very kind. I've not heard of that one before? I did manage to get 5 trays of the old stock yesterday by trawling around local vets and an online retailer, so am ok for the next few months unless Max also insists on having i/d or needs it - we'll see. I will bear the Provet in mind as it sounds an option for sure. I know you're an expert on finding palatable foods with your lot refusing renal foods, so if that's ok, I'll check back with you on this one.
The 3 vets I went to told me they weren't too pleased with the change, but I don't think Hills will change their mind unless American vets complain  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »
I have one called Provet which you are welcome to try. It is a pate type but ingredients are very vague - ie Meat & meat byproducts, fish  fish byproducts, cereals, vitamins  :tired: - It says "also suitable for a senior diet"- It says reduced phosophorus but doesn't give amounts.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »
The RC convalescence one is great but too high in phosphorus for anything other than very occasional use sadly  :'(   I prefer RC foods and wish RC would bring out a palatable and lower phosphorus tummy food.

Hills claim that the decision's taken on 'palatability studies' grounds and 'most' cats prefer minced. In my experience, they don't listen to complaints either. Do you have anyone in America who could complain (you need a US address) as that is where all the decisions are taken. I am sure that the changes are driven by cost of ingredients rather than what's best for their feline clients. Recently there was a temporary change in K/d minced chicken to a smoother paste (Max was delighted; he's got now to be weaned back onto the minced crunchy bit one). That was due to unavailability of supply of good quality rice or whatever.
Always mucking around people with prescription diet changes makes me  :censored:  :censored:

I want to see Boopy's letter of complaint. My 2 will add their outraged Paw prints to it too.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 15:27:41 PM »
When I had my recent traumas with Meggie and Alfie (RIP) the vet gave us some food I'd never seen before. It was a RC one but it was like "super a/d". It was in a pouch and I think it was just called "convalescence". Would that be good for sicky tums or would it be too calorific?
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 13:55:24 PM »
It's minced, got little rock bits in it. And Max blugched it all over the carpet this am.  Unlike the l/d which it seemed my Swamp was the only cat in England that ate it, vets use i/d in hospital, along with a/d. If they make both of those minced and crunchy and hard to eat for sick cats, the complaints might not fall on such deaf ears this time! Hills say 'most cats prefer minced' - I think what they really mean is 'this is cheaper to produce' - just my opinion of course, hopefully not actionable  :censored:

Is Boopy still reading this forum? I wonder if the news about her fav nosh has been broken to her yet?!  :shocked:

Boopy is not impressed at all by this news as she is not that keen on minced foods. She will be spending her pocket money on a tray of the old stuff from VetUK if they've got any left and then whinging to Hills *again*. The i/d food is fantastic stuff and does the job when you need it to (or in Boopy's case it's just a yummy food) so I don't see why they feel the need to change it  >:( >:( You would think especially with prescription foods they would try harder not to change the form of the food as it could prove dangerous for cats that need to be on i/d if they then won't eat it at all.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »
It's minced, got little rock bits in it. And Max blugched it all over the carpet this am.  Unlike the l/d which it seemed my Swamp was the only cat in England that ate it, vets use i/d in hospital, along with a/d. If they make both of those minced and crunchy and hard to eat for sick cats, the complaints might not fall on such deaf ears this time! Hills say 'most cats prefer minced' - I think what they really mean is 'this is cheaper to produce' - just my opinion of course, hopefully not actionable  :censored:

Is Boopy still reading this forum? I wonder if the news about her fav nosh has been broken to her yet?!  :shocked:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »
My goodness back to square one!  seems they have conceded the pork battle but still not got it right..........sigh

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Hills prescription i/d cans: another change
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:14:22 AM »
Hills have just changed their i/d cat food cans again. The new ones say "with chicken" and are minced in texture (like the minced chicken k/d) and look and probably taste different. They have little hard bits in so are no good for cats like mine who have dodgy teeth. The new cans are gold as well, not silver.
To say I'm annoyed would be putting it mildly. Just to warn others out there who use this food for vomity cats.

I'm looking for chicken based alternatives for sick tums that are smooth and easy to lick up. RC Sensitivity chicken pouches are really high in phosphorus so no good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:14:46 AM by swampmaxmum »

Link to CatChat