Author Topic: Diet cat foods?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Diet cat foods?
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 20:02:12 PM »
I'd cut the dry out and go all wet with sessions with da bird and laser pen  ;D

I dont like r/d, its just full of grain to fill them up, might as well give them a nice wet food instead, has less calories gram for gram so they can eat more, feel happy, and not do huge stinky poos because they cant digest their r/d rations   :sick: :sick:

PS, i love the name  :Luv:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 20:10:38 PM »
Hills Light wet food is quite low in fat I think. Would he eat raw food? Reptile shops sell frozen mice and frozen day old chicks so if you let them defrost and warm them to body temp you'll prob find Geoffrey goes mad for them (feed them in the bath!!) ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 19:26:16 PM »
The vet said the other day that light dry food won't make a cat lose weight. As Lynn said, it's more a maintenance diet. He said r/d is the best - Although Kylie is on it and not losing any but that's because she keeps nicking the others' food  :-:

Hills also do one that speeds up the metabolism - not sure what it's called.

If you decide to get some, it's cheaper from VetUK
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 18:55:40 PM »
Are there any decent wet diet foods people can recommend?  I'm using the JWB light for dry, but Geoffrey will vomit if he eats all dry food so I need a wet one too.  I'm currently using nature's menu but even with me being really careful about not letting him eat Milly's food, he's not lost a gram. 

Any tasty diet food suggestions?? :Crazy:

Cut out the dry food altogether, full of carbs! Stick with the NM, I'm sure you'll find he loses a bit of weight then.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 18:52:56 PM »
I had success at just using ordinary supermarket brands with Tom, or you could try senior foods, they helped with both Lucy and Tom.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 18:52:40 PM »
The "light" versions arent very effective in reducing weight but more for maintaining and helping an obese prone cat to not put on any more.  The prescription diet foods i think are best but cats are notoriously difficult to make lose weight.

However i have had fantastic results many times with hills r/d for 2 of my boys who normally seem to require it every 18-24 mnths and i get them down each time ( but i am extremely strict mind you)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Diet cat foods?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 18:41:08 PM »
Geoffrey needs to lose weight, no easy feat when my walking garbage can is accompanied by a perfect weight picky cat...

Are there any decent wet diet foods people can recommend?  I'm using the JWB light for dry, but Geoffrey will vomit if he eats all dry food so I need a wet one too.  I'm currently using nature's menu but even with me being really careful about not letting him eat Milly's food, he's not lost a gram. 

Any tasty diet food suggestions?? :Crazy:

Link to CatChat