Author Topic: Can steroid withdrawal cause constipation?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Can steroid withdrawal cause constipation?
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 19:48:03 PM »
Yep you are right about that

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 19:10:47 PM »
I think you know you really are cat made when you take such an interest in cat poo. :rofl: :rofl: :sick:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 19:02:01 PM »
Well so would I Mark but he was still eating and not showing any signs throughout the whole time.  I am used to him with constipation as he gets it sometimes as a side effect of his pancreatitis and I swear he was not!  I had him in the vets every other day and the vet thought that it was his enzyme powder medication making him digest all his food.  Don't know how right he was but as I said one day off he went and out it came with no problem.  I nearly fainted with relief and phoned the vet who said he felt like he had when he had become a father for the first time!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 17:40:56 PM »
He once went 15 days and wasn't constipated. 

I would call that constipated  :doh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 17:38:08 PM »
well done Alice keeping Daddy waiting  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

log flume botty  :hug:

x===

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 16:48:42 PM »
Yeeha, I have to keep a poo diary with Dragan,.  He once went 15 days and wasn't constipated.  He was seen regularly during that time by the vet to check for constipation/blockage.  One day he just went on his tray and out it came!!!  By this time I had turned grey with worry

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »
Who'd have thought you'd be so happy to see a poo  :)

Well done Alice  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »
Alice produced a healthy, firm, good-sized log this morning - what a relief - for her as much as me  :evillaugh:

When I went up to feed her first thing, there was nothing. I decided to feed her and see if her system kicked in. Luckily it did as I can now drive to the vets blindfolded  :-:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 23:48:52 PM »
Thanks Helen,

If it was Clapton or Kylie I would be none the wiser as they have indoor & outdoor trays but they don't always use them. Although Clapton has a habit of using the indoor tray to have a wee then goes out  :evillaugh:
I guess I am more conscious with Alice's tumy problems. She is bright and purry tonight and eating well. I hope for a stinky gift in the morning - thanks  :hug:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 23:42:42 PM »
not sure if they can Mark just wanted to say hope Alice manages a poo in the night and feels better  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you both

xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Can steroid withdrawal cause constipation?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 23:30:19 PM »
I had to take a sample of Alice poo into the vet today. He said it was OK as long as it was less than 24hrs old. I cleaned her tray early afternoon yesterday and collected the sample "just in case". I took it as she hadn't been again by the time I went to the vet this morning. I fully expected to find one during the day. She still hasn't been. So 36 hours without a poo. I am used to her having the runs or at least soft poo. Maybe the steroids kicked in at last? or maybe it's withdrawal? (she had her last 1/2 tab yesterday. If she hasn't been by the morning, I guess I had better take her in (already been to the vets 4 times in 8 days  :tired: )
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 23:30:42 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat