Author Topic: Hearing loss after surgery  (Read 1931 times)

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
Re: Hearing loss after surgery
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 18:23:23 PM »
I've just spoken to the vet and the reason for the loss of hearing is due to the fact that her middle ear has been packed with fluid.  Also, her hearing was poor to start with so by adding the fluid and having her daily ear wash and drops she has lost 20 decibels.  She is due back for a checkup next week and the vet is hopeful that once the course of medication is complete her (limited) hearing will return.

She is more concerned with the left ear as it was already ruptured with no known cause.....she believes that she may have had an untreated ear infection a long time ago and this has caused the disease. :(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:14:31 AM »
My Mums cat has got polyps in both ears but her vets wont remove them because they have said that it will cause deafness, I hope your little one is better soon xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »
Fingers crossed for her CS
Please spay your cat

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 21:46:00 PM »
Thanks I was struggling to find anything on the web  :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 21:34:25 PM »
http://petsurgery.com/surgeryoftheear.html its mainly a dog link but mentions cats   :hug:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 21:17:28 PM »
Thanks.

My gut feeling is that it will heal in time but going to call the hospital to confirm.

Luckily all my lot are indoor anyway so no probs there  :shy:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 21:05:48 PM »
I am afraid I don't know enough about this but I would have thought if the eardrum is ruptured it will cause deafness, because hearing is the result of the vibrations of the eardrum being passed through the bones of the ear into the nervous system. It is possible it may heal as ruptured eardrums in children seem to when they get really bad earache, but I don't know if that happens with cats. You need to talk to your vet about it. The loud meowing is definitely a response to not being able ot hear herself talk ... Do keep her indoors until you know what is happening - a deaf cat is very vulnerable outside.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
Hearing loss after surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 20:57:26 PM »
Foofoo had an ear polyp removed last week and whikst she was under they also found her other eardrum was ruptured  :(

I believe to remove the polyp they have to pierce the ear drum.

Since the surgery I haven't seen any evidence that she can hear anything and she is miaowing a lot louder than normal.

I'm going to call the hospital tomorrow but thought I'd see if anyone here had any thoughts whether this hearing loss is normal and temporary (hopefully, fingers crossed!) :scared:

Thanks

Link to CatChat