Author Topic: Misty's hair is getting me in knots  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Misty's hair is getting me in knots
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 21:16:12 PM »
also give him roast chicken
pieces (no preservatives) but now worried about the link you posted stating " all protien has phosphorus "

All meat contains phosphorus, its part of its make up, its just that some meats are higher in phos than others, and CRF cats do better with reduced phos - that doesnt necessarily mean reduced protein. You can compare phos levels in different meats here http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 19:13:27 PM »
I will upload the full sized one into photobucket  ;D

One day in London I went out into the garden behind Kocka and then turned round and I couldnt understand how Kocka was behind me!

It turned out to be a Kocka double call Sooty who lived up the road and on photos I cannot tell them apart just as I couldnt in the fur. I called him Miska (Mishka) before I knew his name and he would walk down the road with me to the corner shop and then he would be waiting by my door when I came home  ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 19:00:27 PM »
Kocka does look like Misty :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: You'll have to get a bigger photo to put on Purr's though  :shy:
Misty Had a Brother "Chico" and about 2 years after I got Misty I went Back to see the people I got Him From
and was amazed at the mirror image I saw :wow: only Difference was Chico was C h o clate Brown/Black in
colour :Luv: same temprament too  :Luv: :Luv:
several years passed, they moved house cause the road was too busy, and I lost touch with them :-: about 4
years ago I heard the woman had started up a new shop in Fraserburgh, and I made a guest appearance.
during the course of the conversation, I asked how chico was doing? there was a silence....and her eye's
started to well up, they'd moved specifically because of the amount of traffic at the old house
Ironically, because they stayed in a quiet country lane, She'd felt confident enough to let Chico wander and do
his own thing, Sadly, He was run down and Killed just 20mtrs from the home :( :'(
when I'd asked her about Chico, it was only 2 months after the accident :(

Thanks Millys Mum, I'll check out the omega 6 too ;)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 18:38:44 PM »
Here is Kocka, the only picture I have on the computer and was take when she had been with me a bout 6 months, she was darker than this but changed color in differing lights as blue cats do  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 16:54:50 PM »
If your giving omega 3 you need to look into omega 6 as they go hand in hand  ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 16:28:24 PM »
Thank's for that Mark, Very Informative but a little scary too :scared: I will try and get some omega 3
Misty wont eat his Renal food now, been like that for over a month " just looks at it, then looks at me :-: "
He's back eating His senior Cat food and His appetite Has increased a little, also give him roast chicken
pieces (no preservatives) but now worried about the link you posted stating " all protien has phosphorus "

on the whole though Misty is keeping well :wow: just these knots in his fur is bugging me...and him, when
I try to get them out  :(

Hi Gill, dont think I've seen a photo of Kocka, eventhough I've seen you mention Her before, " will have to have
a look for photos, Misty's fur has only gotten lighter as he has aged, the photo below was taken when he was 5 :Luv:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 16:30:05 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 13:21:38 PM »
I think that site has a lot of sound advice even though they are selling supplements and expanded information sheets - I guess they gotta eat too!  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
Kocka was not vaccinated cos she would get ill everytime and my vet said it was bad for her, even the killed vaccines gave her a problem.

She also lived for last 3 years on ad diet cos it was the only thing she would eat and also had a thyroid problem.............definately agree that if they do not eat it will kill them and therefore as my vet said let her eat what she wants.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 08:01:05 AM »
If you can get him to take it, fish oil might help - not cod liver oil but whole fish oil. You can get them in Holland & Barrett.

It mentions here about omega 3 being beneficial to cats with CRF http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=003
I tried squirting some on Clapton's food but he won't eat the food with it which is odd as he likes fish  :Crazy:

There is also a link to something called biosuperfood that I want to look into buying here (it's a US site). It mentions glossy fur as one of the benefits.

I am also curious about their opinion of prescription food for CRF
"Research also shows that even very high protein diets do not make renal failure worse in cats (although high protein does worsen the disease in dogs and humans). (One pet food maker recently completed a study it claims shows that its restricted-protein diet increases lifespan in CRF cats."

As they point out, if the cat won't eat it, it won't do any good.

They also say CRF cats should not be vaccinated. I am going to print this out and give it to my vet.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:22:11 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 00:32:04 AM »
Kocka was so like Misty in looks but a slightly darker grey and she also had CRF. Her fur used to become so badly matted she used to have to go to have the mats shaved off every so often.

She was  20yrs old when she went to the Bridge and had been like this for about the last 3 yrs, she also used to like being groomed but all that stopped and these mats would appear almost overnight and close to her body so it was imposssible to touch them.

I didnt know many of things I have learnt from here and CC when I had Kocka, I wish I had known so much more then :(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 00:18:25 AM »
I have noticed a change in Misty's Hair quality, unlike Hamish (Glossy coat) Misty's never really seemed to shine
I just put it down to the long hair and also His age, the main reason for putting this query up is I'm sure I read
on some CRF website that the hair does start to loose some condition, but wasn't sure, maybe through denial
I accepted old age as a reason, but now with your response am starting to wonder??
maybe it's caused by both ???

awww Boogah  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 23:54:19 PM »
Clapton's fur is quite dull since he got CRF - I guess they lose a lot of nutrients and where the fur isn't silky, it can get matted  :(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 23:51:44 PM »
nah, Misty's always had lot's of Lovies n attention" whether He wants to or not "  :evillaugh: you should see his face
sometimes  :evillaugh:  >:(
only thing I've paid more attention too since Diagnosis is his eating /drinking habit's and of course the litter tray  :sick:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 23:02:31 PM »
Could be, or maybe just cos Misty is ill you have been paying a bit more attention?? Sometimes you overlook things in your pets that become apparent only when something else has focussed your attention on them...

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 22:55:55 PM »
Thanks BC maybe it is just age associated as Misty wil be 17 in a few months ??
and because it started around the time CRF / Fortekor began, it may be just a coincidence??

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 22:46:53 PM »
don't know anything about the disorders, but Bob, who as a long-hair never needed to be groomed (for knots, obviously he was groomed occasionally), as he got older he started to develop matts of hair in just the places you are describing - also on his tail just short of the base of the tail. I put it down to arthritis and not being able to bend quite as flexibly as he did as a youngster. He was 19 when he passed, but the problem really only existed in the last couple of years.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
Misty's hair is getting me in knots
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 22:41:56 PM »
does anyone have any ideas why Misty's hair is starting to get knotted all the time??
Misty's coat has always been easy kept (being a longhaired indoor cat, no twigs n stuff to get entangled)
but for the last month and a half he's started getting matted lumps of hair, mainly under armpits and at the
top of his Hock's (horsey term ??)
Misty was diagnosed recently with very early stages of CRF and is now on Fortekor, could this be the cause ??

the hair causing the matted lumps looks dead, most are little and can be teased out, but some are a fair old
size, and the scissors are then called for, yesterday I got carried away with the scissors, and today have noticed
a dent in his coat caused by the removal  :doh:
anyone have any suggestions for a cause and remedy ?? he is starting to dislike his brush >:(

Link to CatChat