Author Topic: kitten fighting with my older cat?  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
Re: kitten fighting with my older cat?
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 21:00:18 PM »
that is good news  :Luv: ;D :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 20:56:53 PM »
just thought id throw in a update  ;D the girls are getting on better and only seem to do it now and again

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 18:37:53 PM »
having hand reard some baby chinchillas rearing kittens will be about the same chinchilla kits need feeding 1/2 hours at a time day and night so all good fun, i think rescue ppl may not like the idea of me having such a big dog and other animals to look after altho it would be nice to help out i do get attached to animals very easy tho that may be a down side but it helps animals and i would love a proper job working with them  i did to volentearing work at the kennels but since moving i havn't had time to go bk and coz my 9yr old is home ed at mo till a space comes up for her at the school i would like her to go to

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 18:33:33 PM »
Phoenix if you would like the kitten experience you could see about fostering for your local rescue, one litter may be enough to change your mind  :rofl:

If you really want to get her done you could just say shes older than she is. Size doesnt seem to be such an issue with vets/receptionists, they think 6 months is a magic number  :tired:

Previously when putting small animals under, 6 months was a safer age but drugs and procedures have progressed so much since then the risk is minimal. I reckon its vets preference on opening up something that still looks like a baby.
I dont think they have a problem finding the organs as 8 weeks is v.common in the states. Hopefully wont be long until the uk catches up :wish: :wish:

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 17:44:45 PM »
yeah i would say so plus it dont help with people not bothering to get there cat fixed so to speak

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 17:43:00 PM »
it's surprising how often it happens - guess that's why there are so many unwanted kitties out there

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 17:36:40 PM »
as much as i would love to have kittens there are far to meney unwanted cats out there Tia was one of those suprise litters the lady i got her off got a shock of her life when she went to get her cat spade and returned with your cat is reg lol i can imagen her raction think i would be gob smacked.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 17:11:40 PM »
I dunno either Phoenix. I think that it is partly that the various organs involved have not matured enough to be easily found, and partly that there is just a standard rule of thumb going on. If you talk to the vet, rather than the receptionist you may receive a more sympathetic hearing. The receptionist will simply be repeating what they have been told to say, the vet, having training, can exercise his or her judgement in the case. If it is causing major trauma in the household then the vet may agree to an earlier date (but probably not immediately). But if it is just that they are having an occasional spat (mine do that regularly), then it is probably not worth rushing into. Just make sure she does not go outside until she is done, otherwise you may have a whole other problem to deal with... :evillaugh:

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »
hi i dont quite know y they wont do her now tabby was done young as she had a accident which resulted in her losing her tail and having a metal fram on her white back leg whilst they were doing her leg they did her there and then but until they will do her there isn't really much i can do ............. i think other then making sure they dont hurt them selfs i dont think it is majorly serouse as it is only in the evening for like spouts at a time

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comment about the neutering process. She is probably just starting to feel like a grown-up girl and trying her luck in the family pecking order. Unless it gets really violent I would not interfere too much and let them sort it out amongst themselves.

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »
Hi Phoenix,

Did you go through any recognised intoduction procedure or did you just show your resident cat the new kitten and hope that they would get on?

If you can imagine leaving a hyperactive baby with a grandmother who probably wants a uieter gentle life, that is possibly the cause of the problem.

How long have they been together and do both have quiet areas in your home which they can use as bolt holes without being disturbed by the other? I assume the kitten will be neutered at the first available opportunity.

Let me have some background information and I might be able to offer some advice. We can take it offline if you prefer.

hi they have been together since she was 6 weeks old tia is now 4 months this has only been a recent issue both cats have full run of the house and they have there own hiding places so they can escape one another introduction was done gradually, Tabby is used to being around other cats but with tia she is on a total different plannet from other cats i have never seen a kitten like her she is a propper nut case. though the day untill early evening they get on brillently cuddling up and being lovley together its almost like a full moon comes out and she gose bannanas

and the vet wont spade her till she is 6 months old

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 23:35:46 PM »
Hi Phoenix,

Did you go through any recognised intoduction procedure or did you just show your resident cat the new kitten and hope that they would get on?

If you can imagine leaving a hyperactive baby with a grandmother who probably wants a uieter gentle life, that is possibly the cause of the problem.

How long have they been together and do both have quiet areas in your home which they can use as bolt holes without being disturbed by the other? I assume the kitten will be neutered at the first available opportunity.

Let me have some background information and I might be able to offer some advice. We can take it offline if you prefer.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »
as much as i would love to have a play mate for tia i got a minie zoo already lol 2 cats 1 dog 1 rabbit 1 hamster 19 chinchillas lol well i think 19 chinchillas got some babies so prob need a new count up lol

there fights seem less intense over the last few days so am hoping things will settled down a little more i think ill have to get another cat fishing rod type thing and try to tire tia out  but little hard when she has soo much energey lol

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 17:40:02 PM »
i agree with what stuart says. kittens have A LOT of energy :evillaugh:

our little one at the moment is getting bigger every day and loves playing with our older kitten cat charlie. whe charlie starts to get fed up of the constant ankle biting, he starts to hold harry down and kinds of warns him, but harry doesn't give up :tired: i think to be honest it's best to leave them to their own devices unless they are deliberetly coming up to fight each other and are hostile to each other at other times.

also agree with MM, a playmate would be a great idea, they could tire each other out :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 17:23:04 PM »
It probably starts off as a game that Tabby soon tires of, Simon used to hassle Lola something rotten until the next 3 turned up who are more his age and have the stamina to keep up  :bike: :bike:

Is it possible to consider a playmate for Tia so Tabby can get back to doing what 11 year olds do best?  :nite:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 00:37:28 AM »
Hamish and Misty were like this sometimes, Mostly I'd leave them to sort it out themselves
but if Hamish would let out a skirll in pain I would intervien and split them up, Misty could
be a bully at times, specially if Hamish got the better of Him, thats when Misty's expression
would turn to a look of RAGE >:( Misty soon got the hint when I would hear Hamish cry in
pain and I would come marching into the room, he'd stop immediatly, and run away!!
cause He knew He was in for a good talking too from me  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 00:39:59 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 00:35:36 AM »
it is comical ill try to get a vid of the scap when they next happen no dout they will Tia is a little monkey

thanks for the help any other sujestions would be welcome

am off to turn in for the night am totaly warn out thanks

rissa

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 00:33:19 AM »
I am of the school of thought that, unless they are causing each other injury, it is best to let them get it out of their system. Others on this forum would disagree. However, if you do intervene you are simply slowing down the process and setting up a system of 'favourites' from their point of view. The one who gets rescued being the favourite, which puts the other cat's nose out of joint further. I would let them get on with it. But if you are out of the house for long periods of time, you should probably separate them. Sounds to me like the kitten is a little boisterous and your older lady is just putting her in her place when she takes it too far. I love it when they play flying leaps at each other, mine stalk each other and do that regularly :Luv:

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 00:28:07 AM »
not sure Tia will do a run and flying jump at tabby is comical untill they both start almost rawing at each other and rolling around  they both very noicy by this time think the most that tabby has on her at mo is just some scratches on the nose

is it best to let them get it out there systems or intervean each time it starts sorry about spelling

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 00:25:04 AM »
is there a way we can try to get them to avoid scrapping? dont want them to keep away from each other but would like them to get on 99% they get on fine this is normaly though the day but tia gets her hypo hour's

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 00:24:24 AM »
well, judging by the photo they get along remarkably well  :Luv: Smidgen and Esther (my adult cat and kitten, now not so small) have scraps occasionally. It starts off with her attempting to mother him with licks and grooming, and after a while he decides he has had enough so turns round and bites her. They then wrestle together with bunny kicks at each other and lots of growling and hissing, but if you look closely, they are not biting down hard. Are you sure it is serious biting and scratching, and not the sort of behaviour I have just described?

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 00:23:15 AM »
by the sounds of it Kitten wants to play, older cat puts up with it for a while, then older cat gets peeved
and lashes out. is this what is happening?? if so I would just keep an eye on them and make sure things dont
get out of hand, with time the kitten will get the message  :evillaugh:

if its the other way around, we may have a problem  :-:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 00:24:52 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 00:19:46 AM »
starts off being playfull then gets agressive

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 00:19:08 AM »
is it proper aggression ?? or is kitten just being playfull??

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 00:18:13 AM »
how old is the kitten, and how old is the cat? Are they both neutered? How long have you had them? Is the kitten a new-comer?

A new cat, or even a younger cat, will from time to time, try to assert itself with the older cat as part of the relationship-establishing process. If the kitten is not neutered, it may also be that it is feeling its hormones kick in and therefore feeling restless. A bit of additional information would help us help you on this one.

hi Tia is 4 months old i had her when i signed up with the group Tabby is about 10/11yrs old tabby has been spaded tia hasn't as they wont do it b4 6 months of age we have had tia since she was 6 weeks old but due to my other half not being able to breath properly she went to his friends house for 2 weeks we got her back yesterday as there was no change in his breathing whith out her. how ever i know some of it is prob that she is settling bk in but if we can try to avoid them scrapping would be good lol

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 00:13:58 AM »
how old is the kitten, and how old is the cat? Are they both neutered? How long have you had them? Is the kitten a new-comer?

A new cat, or even a younger cat, will from time to time, try to assert itself with the older cat as part of the relationship-establishing process. If the kitten is not neutered, it may also be that it is feeling its hormones kick in and therefore feeling restless. A bit of additional information would help us help you on this one.

Offline phoenix

• Adult Cat
    • phoenix_chinchillas
kitten fighting with my older cat?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 00:10:47 AM »
hello wonder if u can help me our kitten is picking fitght with the older cat both are female, is this just a boystrous cat? if not how can we stop this

Link to CatChat