Author Topic: Oh my Gosh! - What can they all hear?  (Read 6303 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Oh my Gosh! - What can they all hear?
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 20:31:56 PM »
It's fine, Roz I didn't take it personally. I just wanted to let you know I felt strongly about it too. Rant all you want! ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 17:23:07 PM »
Hi JS,

My comments were not meant for you or anyone else on here...I was just having a rant about the wicked way in which many wild animals are poisoned. I know you would never do anything like that.

It is heartbreaking to think of the agonising death they endure....just because they are considered 'vermin'

And who is to blame for most of the 'vermin' encroaching on our 'territory'  Us, of course, Because we drop our litter everywhere, leave food all over the place, cause huge landfill sites (what rubbish do animals make?) and deprive animals of their natural habitat.  We cannot even go shopping without stopping for a hamburger....As a veggie the smell of these fast food outlets makes me want to heave.

Notwithstanding all of the above, you would be amazed at how many people ring me in a panic because some bast*** is threatening to poison their cats.

Of course, this is an offence because the cat is considered a 'free roaming animal' and is protected by law, but the poisoning of cats is commonplace in some areas and even though the perpetrators might be known, it is almost impossible to prove.

It is a nightmare and just about as evil as it gets.

That is why I feel so strongly about it.

Rant over!

Best wishes,

Roz
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 17:27:02 PM by Roz »
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 16:38:32 PM »
Roz, we don't agree with poisoning or those hideous traps that behead rodents either. (Also, those terrible sticky pads - nope the animal doesn't die - well, not immediately. It's just stuck to a square in abject terror.)

When our cats brought in the baby rat I bought these covers that go on tins and have a "mouse flap." The rodent can get in but a lip prevents them from getting back out again.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 15:06:50 PM »
I HATE POISONS OF ANY KIND....THERE ARE MUCH MORE HUMANE WAYS OF DISCOURAGING ANIMALS.

WE DO SHARE THIS PLANET WITH OTHER ANIMALS!!!

THAT STORY IS SO SAD, DEN.

.......AND RATS ARE CREATURES WITH FEELINGS TOO. IT IS DEPLORABLE THAT THEY SHOULD BE POISONED IN THE WAY THAT THEY ARE....TO HAEMORRHAGE TO DEATH IN EXCRUTIATING PAIN!!! THEY HAD NO CHOICE IN THEIR BIRTH!

WE HUMANS HAVE A LOT TO ANSWER FOR, DON'T WE? 

SORRY, BUT FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS. >:(

I KNOW NO-ONE ON THIS SITE IS GUILTY OF SUCH CRUELTY BUT I SO WISH IT DIDN'T HAPPEN AND YES, OF COURSE IT GETS IN THE FOOD CHAIN.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 19:15:03 PM by Roz »
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 14:41:25 PM »
I don't ever want to cause panic but last year on another site a person lost all 3 of her Border Collies in one day. They had no idea rat poison had been put down in the area until it was too late. All 3 dogs ingested the poison somehow (not sure whether through dead rodent or not), they got incredibly sick and went down hill rapidly. Rat poison is nasty stuff, as a result the dogs had an excruciatingly painful death  :'( :'( :'(

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 14:39:31 PM »
I am afraid that a small entrance is room for a small paw or a larger sized one for MIsa and Sasa and no way would a mouse make it to the box with mine around  :rofl: :rofl:

They sit out side in the pouring rain and freezing cold just bloomin watching the places that mice come and go.............sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 14:35:08 PM »
Have you read the exorcist? that starts with them hearing what sounds like rats in the loft space :)

Haha, I keep expecting the cats to turn round and say to me 'they're here'........ :scared:

Gill and Rosella - Its something thats been in the back of my mind too. The one rat that Harry brought in was dead and not obviously mauled and went straight in the bin. The rat that George caught he brought in but then rushed off out with again, and I found it the next morning - very much mauled  :sick: This all happened a few weeks before Gwynnie got sick, BUT then George had a couple of days of throwing up - AND I've since found out that my neighbours HAD been putting poison down! They tried one that the rat man put down, but that didnt work, so they went and got something from the farm up the road!!!! - they assured me that it was poison that WOULDNT affect cats or other animals if they happened to get hold of the rat, or worse, eat it  :sick:

Now I now that when the rat man puts poison down its in enclosed boxes with little entrances that only rats/mice could get into - but of course that doesnt stop a cat then catching and/or eating that rat. Gwynnie does go outside and the safe fenced area of the garden that she can go into freely from the cat flap at nighttime adjoins my neighbours garden and is close to his shed - where the rats seem to have orginated from.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 14:29:12 PM »
its funny you should say that Gill - Oscar came in with a mouse on Monday night and about half an hour later was very, very sick I put it down to too much excitement on a full stomach (and he is fine now) but part of me wondered if the mouse was contaminated with something

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 11:53:46 AM »
Roz, they can hurt things if they get inside your house - wiring being the main thing. I love mice and rats (Wild and domestic!) but know that leaving them running about in your house is not the best move. Unless you don't mind having to replace lots of wiring. Also, little known fact, mice pee a little continually as the walk to mark their scent.  :sick:

Leigh, I'd say I had the same system but one of mine has actually brought a mouse in and then I got up one morning to find another of them watching it drink from their water bowl! :evillaugh:

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 11:40:36 AM »
Hi Gillian,

This defo sounds like a mouse...but with all those cats you are not very likely to see it ha ha.  I had one in my last house which seemed to be in the skirting boards.  My cats used to sit for hours looking at the skirting boards but nothing ever appeared..thank goodness because I wouldn't have wanted them to kill it.

Eventually, it went away...or worse..died.  I hope it didn't die.  My thinking is that if it managed to find its way in it must be able to find its way out. 

Last winter, while I was moving some gear into my new house, long before I moved in, I found the most exquisite little mouse nest inside the garage.  I had stored some boxes and things there so it wasn't empty but I was just preparing to sweep the floor on this particular day...and as I moved one of the boxes aside, I came across a little mound of dried grass and shredded paper....and a few other materials from my garage that the little creature had thought to include in her nest.   It was sooooo beautiful. The little mouse wasn't in it...and I would think was preparing to have babies, but I just left it where it was...It wasn't hurting anything.

It was some time before I actually moved into the house, by which time everything had gone.  I hope, by finding it, I didn't frighten the little creature into abandoning its home....bless.

I think it was just a little field mouse or something...coming in from the cold.

Best wishes,

Roz

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
OMG it's a ghost!!  Someone has awaken a haunted spirit!! Call an exorcist!!

Sorry I couldn't help... :innocent:  I think Gill has got a good theory... how is Gwynnie doing these days, btw?

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 06:12:57 AM »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 22:49:29 PM »
But I wonder if a bird , mouse or other creature could have sorta got contaminated either slightly so it didnt die or just before it did and then if Gwynnie found it and say had a nibble or a lick , whether that could have happened.

Only a thought.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 22:44:50 PM »
Clever Gill!   I wonder if that's possible Gillian but I assumed our little girl wasn't allowed "outside" in the true sense of the word?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 22:14:10 PM »
Be careful with the environmental protection cos they will put poison that will also kill the cats...................makes me wonder how is Gwynnie now?

I wonder if any of your neighbours have a problem and have been puting down poison?

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 21:50:48 PM »
We get a sound like that in what seems like the wall, could even be inbetween floors, so maybe I have a rat too!! I have not heard it for a while.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 21:45:08 PM »
Ooh crikey.

There are a lot around this year. There was one eating the seed on the bird table the other morning. I suppose they just want to be warm and fed!

The pics are good Gillian, hope you get to the bottom of it, if it is rodents they are taking some chances with all those cats!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 21:32:45 PM »
Have you read the exorcist? that starts with them hearing what sounds like rats in the loft space :)

just kidding
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

MBll

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 21:29:09 PM »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 20:12:58 PM »
Sadly they can get in very easily. Not sure if they go up the drain pipes and enter the house that way (don't quote me on that). We've had 2 cases of them in recent years, one even got into my bedroom  :censored: If it's really loud it's most likely to be rats. In my experiences the mice have been within the walls and rats in the loft  :sick: I don't know what the norm is.
Best ways are to either to find a dead body, see a live animal or find droppings. Rat droppings are plenty big enough to be noticeable. You could phone an exterminator  :scared: or set some traps either humane or not so humane  :scared: (I always do humane).

Peanut butter or healthyfood seems to be the best bait.

What silly rodents entering a house with 11 cats  :-:

BTW it's the perfect time of year for them to enter houses.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 20:13:58 PM by Den »

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 20:09:28 PM »
will the environmental health dept not come out and lay out stuff if it is rats , great pics though
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 20:04:13 PM »
How am I going to know what it is and how do I get to it/them? I can't see how something gets into the ceiling/floor/walls from the outside - solid brick walls! I had bats in the loft where I used to live, they were coming in under the eaves. The 'batman' came to look in the loft and it turned out I had a nursery roost and there were hundreds of 'em! They werent a problem though, and the whole colony left of their own accord the following year.

Now I am a bit worried as, if you remember a few weeks back, Harry deposited a couple of dead rats outside, plus brought one in, and then George came in with one the other day. My neighbour has also just informed me that they have rats in their shed (eaten through 2 shed doors already!!)  :scared:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 18:38:31 PM »
That's a thought - my mum thought she had rats in the loft, but it turned out to be bats. Not that this made her feel any better - she hates bats (I think they're quite cute). Best to find out one way or the other if you can, since it's illegal to disturb bats.

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 18:15:58 PM »
We have bats in the walls here that are really loud.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 18:15:13 PM »
Oh how lucky you are Gillian....your very own wild rat  :evillaugh:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 18:13:49 PM »
houston we have a rodent - sorry!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 18:12:38 PM »
If it is loud enough to sound like birds, it is more likely a rat - sorry to say ...

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 18:09:16 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: sorry, I shouldn't laugh - those pics are just too funny! look at them all staring so intently :evillaugh:
Still - scuttling is a worry - dare I say it, mice?  :shocked:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 18:05:44 PM »
 :scared: Sounds like a mouse. Possibly rat?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Oh my Gosh! - What can they all hear?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 17:58:52 PM »
Just now I noticed George sitting on the worktop by the boiler and looking up towards the ceiling - he could hear something. I couldnt coz the boiler was running at the time LOL! - but when it turned off, suddenly a couple of the others went rushing over there, and then I could hear something, sort of a scuttling noise - now I thought it was like the noise birds make when they get in the loft - but this is BETWEEN floors!  Then went upstairs and found Ben sitting looking at the same corner in the bedroom thats over the kitchen - what the hec?

Link to CatChat