Author Topic: cats and teeth  (Read 9227 times)

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
  • R.I.P.Tigger Sept95--30/1/08-much loved & missed
    • My Pet Site
Re: cats and teeth
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2008, 19:21:58 PM »
Tigger has been back to the vet today and it's good news! ;D
as i said, the swelling seems to be going down slowly, well the vet said it "is"going down! he said it's gone down a lot, and also that it did'nt look tumoures, and he said it does'nt feel like a big lump now!

Tigger is upstairs at the moment fast asleep,but when he comes home from the vets he goes and hides behind the couch, he seems to sulk! and i had to wake him up to take him up there, perhaps that's why he sulks when he comes back!!!!

such a relief tho'! :clap:

Chris.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2008, 21:26:13 PM »
Ah yes, I got that from my family when they found me boiling dog bones for dinner one night as I handfed three horses through a drought. I couldn't sell them because the only person buying horses was the dogmeat man, and they were most certainly not going to him! I just ignored them, you do the same. Families tend you have your best interests at heart as they interpret them. Not as you interpret them. Stick with it.

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2008, 21:23:00 PM »
Tigger is doing ok, the swelling seems to be going down "slowly" ;)
i am angry though! at certain family members >:( who have said "you can't afford this!"  well even you can't, you always find a way round it don't you? and i have managed it! i know there are some who would say "have him pts!!" because of the vet bills! >:( but you guys on here understand 8) he's not just a "cat", he is a living animal with a character and personality :Luv:

:thanks:
Chris.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2008, 21:00:32 PM »
Fingers crossed it will continue to improve.  Good luck at the vets Tigger and I don't blame your mummy for not letting you indoors with a bird

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2008, 20:48:27 PM »
Tigger had his last tablet today, he goes back to the vet Monday, i can still see the swelling though :(
sometimes it looks as though it's going down, and others as though it's still there, he's eating ok now, even eating his meat, he must be feeling much better cos he brought a bird home this morning and sat outside meowing cos i would'nt let him in with it!!!!
Chris.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2008, 17:13:01 PM »
Poor little fella, glad he managed to eat some fish

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2008, 15:56:23 PM »
So glad that Tigger has managed to eat something, so must be feeling a little more comfy. We feel so helpless when they are not well, don't we.
Headbutts from Sweep and Jonty x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 15:42:35 PM »
Hopefully the injection was pain relief! I know id want some if it were me with a hole in my mouth.

Best not to add up the bills lol.  Im used to my vet taking the most direct way to get results, i sometimes wonder if some do things in bits just to get more money out of their customers  :shify:

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2008, 15:28:11 PM »
i took Tigger back to the vet this morning instead of waiting till tomorrow, he was'nt well, he would'nt eat this morning and he would'nt let me give him his tablet and i did'nt want to force him, did'nt want to hurt him!
i crushed the tablet and mixed it with his fish, but no! he was'nt having any of it! then he was hiding behind the couch, so i rang the vet to ask to see him today, so off we went again! and more to pay!!! i told the vet about him not having his tablet, so he gave him an injection and he said it would help him to feel more comfortable, he had a look in his mouth and he said it is starting to clear, he also said his mouth will be very sore after all the poking around they did and that there had been a lot going on in there!![a lot of infection] but he said they are almost certain it was an abscess and nothing nasty[oh i hope they're right!]
anyway, he's perked up a bit now and has eaten some fish, [the vet said to give him soft foods]he even chased Meg behind the couch before! he has to go back Monday, at the moment he is sleeping in front of the fire.

Chris.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »
Glad he's eaten something.  When Dragan's mouth was sore I used to blend his cat food so it was a little sloppy

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »
Glad you managed to get some fish inside him Chris.  Bet Meg was too, 'cos then she could have some as well  ;)

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2008, 00:16:27 AM »
i gave tigger the fish and he's eaten it and enjoyed it, he loves fish! perhaps the meat [he has Felix] is a bit too lumpy for him at the moment?

Meg had fish too, she goes beserk when she knows there is fish! she jumps up on to the work top when i am putting it out and if she can get in the pan to get at it she will :rofl: and she meows her head off!!!! :rofl: she just can't get it quick enough!

Tigger has gone back to bed now and that is were i'm going! i'll keep you all updated on his progress, he goes back to the vet on Thursday.

Chris.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008, 22:07:12 PM »
i am so glad i found this forum, you have all been great in replying :hug:
i know a lot of people who are not "pet lovers"could'nt understand why we pay for meds for them, but all you guys do :Luv2:

Not much that's worse than a pet or a young child in discomfort as you can't explain that it will get better soon. Do feel for you Chris and again second MM re suggestion of asking for Metacam if Tigger still uncomfortable tomorrow. It prob is very sore as they had to poke about so much to try and let it drain properly. I think I'm right in saying that a lot of bacteria in cats mouths so I assume mouth infections can be a bit tricky. It is therefore vital that full course of anti biotics are given altho I know I hated having to do so when Freddie's mouth was so sore after his dental. Hugs to Tigger and suggest you thoroughly mash up the fish in it's juice or perhaps a drop of milk so he doesn't have to chew.

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 20:53:34 PM »
Hi Millys mum,
we have been back and forward to the vet for at least 3wks now, and it has cost me--up to now---over £100, not all at once but over the wks, i've kept all the bills, but i dread adding them up!!!! i will do it on the day he says he does'nt need to see him again!!
but when i pay the money over i'm not that bothered, i'm just glad to get Tigger home and thankfull he is ok, well i know he's not ok yet--but you know what i mean!

i am so glad i found this forum, you have all been great in replying :hug:
i know a lot of people who are not "pet lovers"could'nt understand why we pay for meds for them, but all you guys do :Luv2:

Chris.                                                             :best 2:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2008, 20:37:02 PM »
Poor Tigger, i hope that 4 days of antibiotics are enough if it was that infected. Out of interest how many visits/consult fees have you had to pay your vet?

It may be his pain relief is wearing off, give them a ring tomorrow if he hasnt perked up and see if they will give you a small amount of metacam.

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 20:33:56 PM »
Tigger has just come downstairs from sleeping most of the day, i gave him some meat but he can't eat it, he was pawing at his mouth :'( so i am just cooking him some fish to see if he can eat that later on when it has cooled down.

his mouth must be awfull sore!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2008, 18:31:45 PM »
Hi Chris

Just caught up on poor Tigger's trouble.  Just to second MM in that Antirobe good for mouth infections. Used to sprinkle it on catfood for Gandolf; he didn;t seem to mind it. Do so hope the little fella is better soon, likewise your son of course. Hope he isn't too uncomfortable.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2008, 17:53:17 PM »
 :hug: to Tigger and for your son too.  Hope the pair of them get sorted very soon!

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2008, 16:06:35 PM »
Tigger is ok, but is very sleepy, he's eating but very slowly, useally he eats his then goes to see what Meg has left! but Meg is finishing before him!!
his mouth must be very sore, i gave him his tablet before, i tried putting it in a piece of fish  but i think he knew it was there and he was avoiding it, so i had to get my son to hold him while i put it to the back of his mouth, poor thing, he must be fed up of people opening his mouth :(
he's upstairs at the moment fast asleep, does'nt seem to want to go out much, anyway he's getting lots of TLC  :ahh:

Chris.

:H: :A: :P: :P: :Y: :N: :E: :W: :Y: :E: :A: :R:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 16:10:28 PM by chris91011 »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2008, 07:18:18 AM »
Hope Tigger soon feels better and hope your son's op goes well.  Happy New Year :hug:

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 21:33:11 PM »
 :hug: for Tigger, hope he soon feels better poor little lad.
Hope all goes well on Wednesday for your son.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 19:29:42 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 19:28:07 PM »
Tigger is home from the vets, and is very sleepy.
The vet said they have had a good look around the swelling and poked around it, an there is a lot of puss there so they have made a hole so it can drain out, and they don't think it is anything else, they think it is an abcess that has formed in the tooth cavity, the swelling is still there and we have to keep an eye on it, and if it doe'snt go down it means more investigations :(

my son is home from the hospital-----his opp was cancelled >:( there was a mix up with the surgeons!!
they are going to phone him on Wed morning if they can fit him in, the surgeon who was supposed to do it opperates on a Wed not Mon!!! so he has to go through all the waiting again!!!

oh, by the way, Tigger is on antibiotics for 4dys, they are Baytril flavour tabs 15mg, and he goes back to the vet on Thursday, please keep your fingers crossed that the swelling goes down!!

Chris.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 19:46:54 PM »
Oh no poor Tigger   :hug:
Do ask about Antirobe, they are strong but very good.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 14:44:45 PM »
Chris, am sorry to hear that.  Me and Paddy and Tess are sending lots of positive vibes for Monday.  Keep us posted.

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 14:01:31 PM »
Tigger has been to the vet this morning, and he wants him in on Monday, he says there is still puss there and he is going to give him an anesthetic and clean it out, at first he said he would also have to do a biopsy because there is something there but when i asked about the cost, he went away and came back and said it would be fifty pounds!!
so i asked how much for the biopsy and he said he may not need one!! maybe he is going to wait and see?
anyway he has to be in between 8.30-8.45. on top of all that my son has to go into hospital on Monday at 12.45. for a hernia repair, as a day case, is it any wonder i am stressed out :tired:

i will keep you posted on both events!!

Chris.

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 23:32:53 PM »
we have another visit to the vet tomorrow, but i can still see the swelling, he's been sneezing a bit today, shaking his head and then he licks around his mouth, maybe it's draining? but he's eating like a horse! infact he's eating me out of house and home!!! he's just come in now and he's had 2 bowls of meat and he's waiting for more!!!! we should of called him "Oliver"!!!
I think maybe he will have to have the gum lanced so it can all drain out.
anyway i'll let you know how it gets on at the vets.
Chris.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 15:12:58 PM »
Yes, how's the little feller doing, Chris?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 12:38:38 PM »
Hope Tigger's swelling is still going (or gone). Hope he managed to eat some Chrissy lunch.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 22:33:18 PM »
that's good, he can enjoy his christmas dinner then!!

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 22:28:31 PM »
Hi,
Tigger has been back to the vet today, and the swelling is going down slowly, he says he is a good patient!  :Luv2:  got to take him back on Saturday so he can see how he is getting on!!
Chris.

:xmas 7: from Tigger and Meg! and me of course!!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 22:29:19 PM by chris91011 »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 20:02:11 PM »
No idea what they taste like! Sorry  :doh:

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 19:17:40 PM »
they are Marbofloxacin 5mg.
chris.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 17:26:46 PM »
What tablets have you got, some can be easily mixed in food  :evillaugh:

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 14:59:39 PM »
yep, he's had a treat, he's had fish which he loves! so does Meg, she tries to get in the pan when i am putting it out for them, oh and the meows out of them when they know they are getting fish! you would think they had never been fed!!

Tiggers doing ok, looks like the swelling is starting to go down, he's got antibiotics to take for 5 days, what fun that is trying to get him to take them! on the first day i put it into a piece of his meat, and he eat no bother, next day he missed it out!! so had to get my son to hold him while i opened his mouth and put it at the back of his mouth then close it and stroke him under his chin untill it went down!! it was so funny---he had his paws in front of his mouth as tho to say"leave my mouth alone! no more!!" :rofl:

Chris.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 07:55:05 AM »
just catching up  on some threads.  Chris what fantastic cats you have.  They're both very handsome and comely puss-cats.  Love the top photo of Tigger and the one of Meg on the windowsill....  :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 07:08:34 AM »
Well done again to Tigger for being such a good brave boy.  Now you will be able to eat all your Xmas goodies in comfort.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 00:17:29 AM »
Awww, bless him. He has to get some treat for being a good boy. ;)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 10:49:15 AM »
oh that sounds like good news Chris... lets hope that is one of Tiggers xmas pressies.... a fixed tooth and no more pain!

Keep us posted.   Well done Tigger for being so good xx
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 19:23:21 PM »
Hi,
as you know Tigger was going to the vet on Friday, well i rang the vet today to ask if i could bring him before then because the swelling looked as tho' it was getting bigger, so i took him this afternoon, and the vet has taken the rest of the tooth out, he said it was loose and it was split down the middle, and there was still some puss there, last time he only took the broken bits, he said the puss should drain out now and the swelling go down, he took Tigger into another room to do it and i heard him howl-------------Tigger not the vet! :rofl:
he said it would be better for Tigger not to have a general anisthetic so he did a local one, oh he is so placid and laid back!!!! he's sleeping it off now! and goes back on Christmas eve for a check up, it cost me more money-----but he's worth it! :Luv:

hope this is the end of it now! he's never been to the vet so much :Crazy:

Chris.

Link to CatChat