Author Topic: The RSPCA  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: The RSPCA
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 19:28:03 PM »
Fingers crossed - I rang our local dog warden about my neighbours dog, and was advised to ring the police (he went for a human, and then for someones dog) seems they are the ones that hold the register.
Please spay your cat

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 16:35:35 PM »
You've done well to kick the RSPCA into action Liz ... I'm more than a little bit cynical towards them after an experience a few months back after i repeatedly reported the fact that my nextdoor neighbour was abusing his dog, and nothing was done.  In the end, the dog was PTS because it attacked somebody badly, and I still feel this would never have happened if the RSPCA had acted when I called them, six weeks before the attack.  When I spoke to an inspector to tell them the dog had been PTS so they didn't need to call round anymore, their attitude was simply that at least they now had one less case to deal with, and that my expectations were unrealistic if I expected a response within as little as six weeks from making a complaint!!!!  I am so sorry about Luna and can't imagine how bad you must feel  :hug:

Offline LizRuth

• Kitten
  • My Luvverly Luna !
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 16:22:09 PM »
 :thanks:
Thanks for your advice. Fortunately the RSPCA officer rang me this afternoon and is coming to pick up the dog. I feel the dog has been being cruelly treated being allowed to roam in a dirty back alley in all weathers.  I don't thnk it was encouraged to dislike or attack cats, I think some dogs just don't like them without any encouragement, 2 of my dogs are not fussed with cats and wouldn't harm them but the 3rd really doesn't like them and we keep her from being alone wth the cats.
I feel really sorry for this dog as we have left food for it and fussed it and it is not aggressive with people, but it can't be allowed to be near other anmals. I hope it doesn't have to be PTS but if it is beyond help that is what must happen for the good of other creatures. Hopefully they will fnd it a home who will be aware of its dslke for cats and will keep it responsibly.
Thanks again for your kind words and help
LIZ X :thanks:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 15:17:54 PM »
How about the Dogstrust?  :shy:

I'm so sorry about Luna.  :'(

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 15:11:20 PM »
Unfortunately, the Police won't do a thing, nor will the RSPCA has the animal is not being cruelly treated.. This is classed as a Civil Matter.

Try calling the Council Dog Warden - under The Control of Dogs Order it is an offence to allow an animal to roam freely in a place where the Public have full access.

It's a sad situation and I feel for your loss xxx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
You might be able to ring the police (local station rather than 999), but there is a good chance he will be destroyed going down that route, I think they are put on the register after the first attack, and they only have one more chance in a year. This dog might just need a better owner.
Please spay your cat

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 12:30:42 PM »
That's awful Liz, I'm so sorry about Luna - I hope the dog gets moved soon.

In cases like this, it's the owners who're at fault - I would bet that he [the son] thought it was funny while the dog was a puppy to do all that 'What's that....cats' nonsense..I mean, why would anyone think it's funny to train an animal to attack another one, effectively that's what they're doing. Morons. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:40:36 AM »
And where do you live ? RSPCA will prob PTS

I fear you are quite right.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:38:17 AM »
All i can think of is -
Go and speak to the lady and ask her to keep the dog indoors until the RSPCA come round -
Then keep ringing the RSPCA....drive them mad....tell them you are going to the papers and TV if they dont hurry up.

What breed is this dog ?

And where do you live ? RSPCA will prob PTS so just wondered if there was a rescue centre near you, or if you are close enough to FoalFarm for them to help

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »
Hi Liz,

I'm sorry sorry about Luna. You must be heartbroken and it was so unneccessary  :(

The RSPCA have a lot to answer for. Given that they are they major animal charity with the most support (money) I am constantly hearing stories of them letting animals down. They are a law unto themselves. I don't have any advice other than speaking to the council dogwarden or the police but I'm not surprised by their lack of action. I have heard several first-hand stories recently regarding how useless they are. The most recent was a lady this week who called them regarding her mother who is going into sheltered housing. The daughter lives abroad so couldn't take the cat. She was surprised when she phoned the RSPCA to be told that they are winding down for xmas and aren't taking any animals until the new year. She called us (CP) in tears. We have a fraction of their resources but are moving heaven & earth to take her cat in before she goes into her accommodation in 2 weeks. Another recent one which I won't go into as it's a long story where a lady reported a cat in danger and was told they would investigate the case in 3 weeks time! - we went round the same day and rescued the cat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 21:26:36 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:35:17 AM »
Good morning Liz,

I can understand that you are really mad and I would be too, however the RSPCA will not do anything today or at least I would be very surprised if they did.  I hope some more members will be on with advice on how to kick them into action, but they will get round to it sounds about right.

:luck:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline LizRuth

• Kitten
  • My Luvverly Luna !
The RSPCA
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:19:08 AM »
Hello Everyone,
Don't know if anyone read my other thread on Rainbow Bridge about the sad loss of my little furry Luna. I need some advice, if anyone can help, so I will quickly recap what happened. Sorry to upset anyone but I am furious and want to know what to do next.

Came home on Friday to be told by a neighbour that there had been a dead cat in the alley at the back of my house and that there was another in a neighbours yard. She was enquiring if my cats where ok. When I went to check the one in the alley had gone, presumably picked up by the bin men, but when I checked in the neighbours yard my poor little Luna was lying dead.
The house where she was owns a dog which is allowed to roam up & down the alley as they have no gate on their yard. IT was obvious that this dog, given it had already killed another cat a few months ago, had attacked and killed her. I was absolutely devastated and went to speak to them. The lady was very apologetic and stated that it was her sons dog who had left home and left the dog with her. She said she couldn't walk the dog as it was too strong for her. She offered to pay for LUna to be cremated, which I refused, and that she wanted rid of the dog.
When my Husband went to get Luna he said their yard was littered with empty dog food cans. THis is what obviously attracted Luna to go down into their yard as she usually just stayed on my shed on wall.
Anyway the crux of the matter is, I rang the RSPCA and advised them of this dog and would they send an Inspector that night to take the dog as the owner could no longer cope with it and it was a danger to other animals. This was at 3.30 Friday and no one has rang me or visited the lady.
I am absolutely furious !! :censored:   I was looking out of my bedroom window yesterday afternoon and there where 2 little cats playing on the back wall of the gardens at the back of my house. I was terrified ! I was too scared to shoo them away incase they ran down near this dogs house. I went and checked that the dog wasn't around, I think they have kept it inside since Friday, but I won't be around all the time to be checking and I don't want anymore animals ending up like poor Luna.
Can anyone advise what I can do ? I have tried ringing the RSPCA but they just said they will get round to it !!!!!!  >:( Is there any other organisations who could help me or should I ring the Police ?
Hope you can help, LIZ X

Link to CatChat