Author Topic: How can Stephen encourage Champ to eat?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How can Stephen encourage Champ to eat?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 23:22:33 PM »
I have posted on CC as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 21:16:27 PM »
saw this on catchat first so have posted my reply there.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 15:13:50 PM »
when Oscar and Algie had flu tuna was the only thing I could tempt them with

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 15:07:47 PM »
Although FIV questions have been raised, the eating issue may be more general health & behaviour, some peeps may have great tips on getting cats to eat, but don't read this section?

That was my line of thought, Clare

Anyway - on Cat Chat Ela has suggested Hills a/d and I have suggested trying to tempt Champ temporarily with tuna or pilchards.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 15:05:29 PM »
Could it be posted in both?

Although FIV questions have been raised, the eating issue may be more general health & behaviour, some peeps may have great tips on getting cats to eat, but don't read this section?

Just my thoughts  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 15:02:30 PM »
I think this post really should be in the FIV section cos that may bring more help  ;D

I put it here as the immediate problem is to stimulate Champ's appetite but if folks feel it will get more attention in the FIV section, please feel free to move it.  I will link back to it on Cat Chat wherever it is  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 14:47:56 PM »
Hi Stephen

Sorry to hear that Champ has tested positive.  

However, there's quite a bunch of us on here with FIV cats, so there's lots of advice (hopefully!) which will help you.

First of all, did the vet say it was FIV or actual feline AIDS?  That in itself is, I believe, similar to the human form, where the FIV is having the actual virus, which then develops to AIDS, but I'm not sure how often this progresses in cats, or the symptoms of AIDS developing.

I would also recommend another test.  The in-house vet tests can be very unrealiable, the Glasgow test is much better, and your vet should be able to arrange this if specifically requested.

How old is Champ, and does he usually go outside?  Having tested positive for FIV, it would be advisable to keep him inside if possible.  Is he your only cat or does he have a friend?

One thought I have about the eating is possibly his teeth.  Ccats with FIV are more prone to tooth and gum problems, so it may be worthwhile checking this, if this has not been done already?

I'm not sure what else to suggest at the moment, apart from do not worry to much, cats with FIV can live long and happy lives when given the correct care .......... and find yourself a vet who does not think PTS is the best option, they are out there!  If you tell us where you are, some other members might be able to give you some suggestions?

Sorry about all the questions by the way
Clare
x
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 14:48:45 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 14:44:03 PM »
Perhaps Stephen should get a second opinion?  One test was normal and the other was +. 
If Champ is indeed + though, yes I think FIV section will be more helpful too.  Perhaps Leigh's Alfie & Frankie can have a chat with him? ;)

Hope the poor boy will feel better and start eating!!   :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 14:38:36 PM »
I think this post really should be in the FIV section cos that may bring more help  ;D

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 14:33:46 PM »
Hi Stephen, really sorry to hear about Champ  :( there are many more knowledgeable people on here who know much more about Felv/Fiv than I do and I'm sure you'll gets lots a of suggestions and support.

I hope Champ's not feeling too poorly - don't be pressured into anything by your Vet - there are people who've had affected furbabes for absolutely years and have coped perfectly well. All I'd say is not to allow him outdoors or to come into contact with any other cats as he's infectious.

Good Luck with him  :hug:  :hug:

There's a dedicated FELV/FIV area on this website so do think about joining  :yes:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 14:36:37 PM by lilycat »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
How can Stephen encourage Champ to eat?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 14:24:10 PM »
I am cross-posting this from Cat Chat on behalf of Stephen, who is having a few probs setting up his account.  I can link him over to this thread if he doesn't join Purrs (I have suggested that he does)...

Hello, my cat started with flu symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, off his food huddled by the fire all day) I took him to the rspca vet 4 weeks ago who gave me antibiotics for him. two weeks ago they did a blood test and said the test results were normal save for a slightly high white blood cell count. I went to another vet this week who did a blood test and said he had feline aids .the cat (Champ) has perked up quite a bit , he's more active and has stopped sneezing. Our problem is he just wont eat. both vets to my mind are too keen to talk me into having him killed, so are not much help now. If i could get him eating I'm hoping he would improve. Anyone have any thoughts ,thanks...

Link to CatChat