Author Topic: Microchip has disappeared ???  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
Re: Microchip has disappeared ???
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 14:31:30 PM »
Thanks for your replies  :)

The vet said he would register the first one as failed with the company (Back Home- Virbac) and register this one  :tired: I didn't have to pay for the second one.

All my cats are indoor but had them chipped incase they manage to escape.

The boys will be microchipped when they are neutered next month and I think I shall take Muppet to get his chip checked, just incase  :shify:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »
Yep, my oldest tom had his in for a matter of days before I found it on the floor!

Poor lad had to go back and get a second one - much to his disgust. But out of them all, him and the youngest are the most outdoorsy, so it's very much necessary.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 11:49:05 AM »
for heaven's sake don't tell DEFRA that kitty has 2 microchips if you are ever going to get a pet passport. Everything has to be registered to the one number only.
Can you register 2 numbers with Pet Log btw?
Mine's chips had 'guaranteed non migrating technology' on the packaging....right....that's why the one put in between the shoulder blades is now half way down his side :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 23:43:56 PM »

Three vets tried with three different scanners for over 20 mins  :tired: Rascal was not amused bless her.

Ah luv her -
Hers must have fallen out then. It is quiet a big hole so it is possible that it wasnt implanted far enough under the skin and has fallen out.

The main thing is that she has been done again

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 22:53:09 PM »
 I had Tom Tom microchipped at the vets when he was first picked up six years ago, he was neutered at the same time, and they scanned him to make sure it was working. two years later when i started microchipping cats myself i scanned him and could not find it, so i microchipped him again, i took him to the vet about a year later to have a xray as he had a bad back and when i went back the vet said i have some bad news tom has two chips, but when i told the vet what had happend he showed me the xray it had moved down one side, so if he ever got lost he has two bless him.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 22:51:49 PM »

As you said if it had moved it would still bleep.

Only if the scanner went over the chip !
Believe me i have spent 10mins looking for a chip and found it in the end

Three vets tried with three different scanners for over 20 mins  :tired: Rascal was not amused bless her.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 22:48:59 PM »

As you said if it had moved it would still bleep.

Only if the scanner went over the chip !
Believe me i have spent 10mins looking for a chip and found it in the end

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 22:30:16 PM »
Billy was microchipped but his chip has gone awol as well.......I keep meaning to get him done again  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 20:31:30 PM »
Note to self , must ask them to scan mine when they go for boosters  >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 19:58:29 PM »
They scan it before implanting to check its working, implant it and then scan again so yes it would beep at the time but could fall out a day or 2 later. Lucky you get her scanned regularly, i like to check them on each visit  :innocent:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 19:43:17 PM »
Yes it's the first time at this vet. According to the vet that did it she was scanned after they put it in  >:(

As you said if it had moved it would still bleep. I assume it must have come back out. I just wonder how long ago it happened as she had it implanted in November last year.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 19:42:01 PM »
We had to scan cats at the cattery and quiet often we would find the chip had moved half way down the leg !!

And sometimes has disappeared all together

So no its not unusual

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 19:39:36 PM »
Shadow's microchip has migrated (it is no longer in the nape of his neck but down between his shoulder blades. I am thinking of having him re-done so that it is easier to find as a rescue in a hurry might not look that hard .........

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 19:34:16 PM »
Is it the first time it was scanned since she had it done? Cos occasionally they can come back out of the hole.
You'd think if it had gone down a leg it would still beep. One of mine has his half way down his neck which im keeping an eye on. That was its starting place too.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
Microchip has disappeared ???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 19:27:27 PM »
Took Rascal to the new vets for her booster yesterday and when he checked her microchip he couldn't find it  :(

Another vet tried with another scanner but nothing  >:(

Both checked her all over, much to her disgust, and couldn't feel it. Rascal is tiny and they said if it was just a failed one they can sometimes feel it under the skin.

My poor baby had to have another one put in  :( and she was as good as gold  :Luv: Didn't even flinch bless her.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? I am worried as I don't know where it's gone  :(

Link to CatChat