Author Topic: Queen is ignoring her kittens and exhibbiting strange behaviour, advice much app  (Read 6662 times)

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Thanks Gill,

Much appreciated  :naughty:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Hi Rach

here is a link to some free software that is easy to use and will help you resize your pictures...........600 pixels on longest side should do it for you  ;D

http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html?tag=rbxcrdl1
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 23:37:38 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Yes, I shall be geting her spayed as soon as she has wheened the kittens off the milk. And there is no-way I am letting her out untill after that point ;D.

I can also sympathise with the lack of sleep due to being a mother of two!  8)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 22:36:22 PM by rlcolville »

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Good news.  You'll be getting Katra spayed in due course, I trust?

And please do not let her out untill she has been spayed, either she will become in kitten again or she may have an argument with a car while wandering for a mate, then you will be left with a litter to handrear. I can assure you as can most of us on here that rearing kittens is not easy and after a while you get a bit snappy with the OH due to lack of sleep. Don't we ladies!  :evillaugh:
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Good news.  You'll be getting Katra spayed in due course, I trust?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
Babies are gorgeous Rach, so pleased she has settled back down again  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Gosh they are all gorgeous! Thanky to Linda for yer help!  :Luv:

Sending lots of positive vibes for all to continue as it should~~~~~Good Luck!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
yeah they doo, except a few I think are  long haired where as she is short haired

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Ahhhhhh bless them ... they all sem to take after Mum don't they!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
This was taken a few minutes ago, Katra appears to be feeding quite happily after a little encourangement

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Hi Dawn,

No specific breed, I have no idea who dady is, and Katra is just a domestic moggy  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
very cute, are they a breed?

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
another pic :D

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Hey everyone,

I am having issues posting pictures  :( they are all too big, am attempting to crop some so they will be smaller and will see what I come up with  ;D

I haven't witnessed Katra in the nest this morning but kittens appear content and are currently in a heap  8)

I am attempting to attach a pic of them in a heap, the quality isn't great but you can make them out  ;D

Offline cats_whiskas

• Adult Cat
  • Harry, Cheese and Nancy. RIP Mr Darcy x
    • Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Glad to hear things seem to be settling here. I was going to say she obviously just senses that this kitten is the runt and was trying to leave it to natures hands. I am glad she has accepted little one back. I have hand reared before so was going to offer up my experience, although I am no expert. However hopefully it will all be ok now x ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Morning Rach,

So pleased Linda et al were able to offer advice and things seem to have calmed down with Katra and the kittens.

Looking forward to more updates and maybe some piccies  ;)

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
That is excellent news just what I needed. 

I encountered a dead little bird this morning - a trait with cats that I am afraid I do not like, he was lying at the bottom of the stairs.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Morning Yvonne,

I have awoken to sleeping kittens and starving mummy, they all seem content at the moment and so will keep an eye on them over the next few hours to see what is happening. I'll post later this afternoon to let everyone know too  :smile:

Rach

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
 :good morning 2:   Rach

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like good news.

Is Katra still nursing all five kittens again now?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
I will do Linda :D

Mum's name is Katra and she has just turned a year, not ideal Iknow but nevermind.

Thanks for the advice PinkBear :D

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
Great news Rach, was lovely talking to you.  Good luck and keep me posted  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  :(

What is puss's name? How old is she? :shy:

Often mum get's an instinct about a particular kitten and I'm afraid they willl abandon a kitten to it's fate. Nature is cruel sometimes and in my work with ferals I've seen this many times. 10 days is a little late for that though as they usually know soon after birth if something is wrong.  :shify: That is not to say the kitten can't be saved. We have successfully gone on to hand rear kittens abandoned at birth several times. But there is a chance these types of kittens may have issues requiring long term support.  :(

If mum is trying to abandon the entire litter, I would say she doesn't want to be a mum any more. Either way I'd make sure puss is spayed as soon as the kittens are old enough. Cats Protection or the RSPCA can help you with that if cost is an issue.  ;)

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Hi there,

Vet checked them out and said they appeared fine although big for their age. Mum cat went too and tried to escape :S We now have her feeding the kittens, she really didn't get much choice as I put thyem on her and she has been feeding for about half an hour now so hopefully everything is going back to some semblance of normal.

Thank you to everyone who tried to find others for me, it is much appreciated.

I will keep everyone informed :D

Rach

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
Hello Rach and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Sorry that mum is acting strange with her kittens now.  I think it is proably the trip to the Vet that has done it, sounds like there has been a transfer of scent from the surgery (presumably you did not take mum cat with you).  It may only be temporary and in another twenty four hours she will be nursing them again.  The one that she has apparently abandoned I would be inclined to take care of tonight and see if you can introduce him/her to the siblings tomorrow or as early as possible.  Sometimes the mum cat knows that there is a problem but that is not always the case and presumably your Vet said that they were all healthy.  As Sam mentioned earlier if you can try to transfer scents from the mum to kittens that may help.

I wish you the very best of luck with them, please keep us informed.

Good luck   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Thanks for helping out Linda   :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
Hi, have pmd you some suggestions but good to hear mum cat is a little more settled.  I have sent my number incase you need further help.  Just shout  :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
No problem x

This is an excellent link for handrearing kittens but there are a couple of things worth trying first.  If you drop me a pm with your number I am happy to call you.

http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Awww Linda,  thank you xxxxxx

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
Hi - I have experience of breeding kittens and happy to help if you want to pm me.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
ok, I haveb powdered kitten milk and seringes, I have absolutley no issues hand rearing if need be but how do I get them to poop...?

I really don't know very much about newborns but I'm sure I've read on here that to get them to poop you need to stimulate them by rubbing their bottoms with kitchen roll or similar.  I would also give the vet a ring, they will have a 24 hour on call vet and ringing for advice is free.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Yvonne is online,  I have PM'ed her for you,  she will know what to do x

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
Try Janey K,  she is online,  I think she will be able to help

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
ok, I haveb powdered kitten milk and seringes, I have absolutley no issues hand rearing if need be but how do I get them to poop...?

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
She isnt online anymore,  let me look and see who else is here that could help x

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Thank you, I am trying to PM her just now :D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I've sent Teresa a PM to see if she can offer any advice  :hug:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
Teresa and Tan are online at the moment,  try and PM them,  you will need to take action pretty quickly as you may need to hand rear if the mum wont feed them and that will be as soon as in the next few hours  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi  :welcome: to Purrs,

I can't offer any advice on the beviour your queen is exhibiting as I've never had kittens however I would try taking a rag / cloth and wipe it over the kitten and then wipe it over the queen and vice versa to help transfer scents.

I'm sure you will get more advice from people who have more experience of this sort of thing very soon.

Sam xxx

Offline rlcolville

• Adult Cat
Hi,

My queen had a litter of five kittens 10 days ago. I took them to the vet this morning due to fleas got them treated and asked the vet questions about how my queen had all of a sudden acting strangely with one of the cats. I was told that I was doing the right thing etc and basically not to worry about it and get on with it.

The basic gist is that last night and subsequent times today before the visit to the vet, the queen was singling a kitten out (the smallest)and taking it to a corner or cupboard, cleaning it and leaving it. At first I thought that the Queen was going to move all the kittens through so waited to see what happened but she didn't, even when the kitten started meowing a few minutes later for her she never batted an eyelid.
This is what has been happening untill the visit with the vet.

Since coming back, the Queen wont even lie beside them anymore. I have had to practically dump the kittens ontop of her to get her to feed them. She has removed one and tried to hide it again and since I have closed off as many hidey places as I can. When she removed another from the basket I watched her to see what she would do. When she seen that her way was blocked she literallly dumped the kitten on its head (she hadn't been overly gentle in picking it up as she had it by it's rear) then held it down by the neck, I watched to see if she was just 'adjusting' her hold and then the kitten started mewling as if it couldn't meow properly. I lifted the kitten from my Queen and put it back in the box.

Any help or advice that you can give me would be very much appreciated. I have spoken to a few of my other cat lover friends and have considered the thought of loss of scent fue to the frontline spray that they were all smeared with. Is there a way I can get the scent back onto the kittens of the Queen?

Thank you very much

Rach

Link to CatChat