Author Topic: A Tale of Two Tails  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: A Tale of Two Tails
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 13:43:06 PM »
Poor little Oscar, hopefully he'll soon be back home with you and Minnie  :hug:

Glad to hear how well they are doing  :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 13:43:34 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 13:00:33 PM »
Oscar is at the vet's today; his neutering was this morning, so he's recovering from his anesthetic and I can pick him up in a couple of hours. Poor little mite, he was starving this morning, and screaming at the top of his lungs, but no breakfast because of his surgery. Minnie is missing him like mad, she's been wandering around crying for him.

The more I think about these people who gave them to us, the angrier I get...treating these lovely little cats like disposable accessories. We would never treat an animal like that. I think it's just selfishness, myself. But Oscar and Minnie seem to be happy enough with us, playing and running around like mad, and as the days go by, settling in better with the rest of the horde.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
Glad these two have a happy ending, but I would be surprised if Minnie isn't neutered, if Oscar isn't and she is the smaller of the two.
Please spay your cat

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 13:12:53 PM »
Awww they have landed on their paws with you.  So glad you've taken them in but  :censored: to the woman for deciding to get a dog then getting rid of the cats when they don't get on  >:(

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »
What a lovely story! Oscar and Minnie are so lucky to have you and hubby for their new mom and dad!   :hug:  They are just beautiful!!   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Why do people think they can get rid of animals when the novelty has worn off, or decide on a different type of pet???  >:(  God help the poor puppy-i wonder how long HE'LL last!!!   :censored:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 03:00:06 AM »
Glad to hear they are safe now, they are gorgeous!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 23:45:07 PM »
They both look lovely and like each other too, so pleased you have taken them in  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 20:13:29 PM »
Poor babies  :(They got there in the end though and it sounds like they will have a great life :hug:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 19:51:01 PM »
So glad they're safe with you :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 17:11:08 PM »
that's a lovely story, and I think Oscar and Minnie are just lovely, and so lucky that you and your husband are such great cat people

I have a cat which I took over from a neighbour, who had no idea of how cats should be treated, and have never regretted it for a moment

sometimes the ones that fall unexpectedly into - or should that be onto - our laps bring the greatest pleasure
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
A Tale of Two Tails
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 17:04:24 PM »
We have 4 cats, who are happy with their pecking order (well, all except the low one on the totem pole!), and our house is pretty much cat-centered; baskets of cat toys all over, all windowsills have carpeting on them, conservatory has shelves at various levels and a big cat tree with platforms, vacuum cleaner is seldom powered up... :evillaugh:

A young guy from across the street, who has a cat, came over about 3 weeks ago, when it was very snowy and icy out, and asked if I could cat-sit a little stray that crawled into his house. His cat was being very aggressive with it, and he was afraid to leave them in his place. I took the little fellow and put him in the conservatory. He looked about 4-5 months old, not neutered, very cute and very similar to our Lily but with a black spot on his nose. I spent some time with him and he was lovely, very friendly, a real lap cat. When husband came home, he liked him as well. The neighbor came home several hours later and we said we'd keep him for him, to put signs out and when he found owner to tell them to come to ours.

I took him to the vet a couple days later to see if he had a chip, which he did. He was registered to our local Cats Protection; so the vet called and got phone number and address; it was over a mile from our neighborhood! We couldn't believe this little cat had traveled so far in the snow, and wondered if someone dumped him off. We phoned the number several times and left messages but no response; we finally drove over to the address, and they said they didn't have a cat. We decided to just keep him, we both really like him. My late cat Lucia had been a lap cat, but none of our 4 were, and Oscar (as we called him) loved cuddles and being on my lap. We told the neighbor who found him all the info.

A week later, there's a knock on the door, and I open it to see a young woman with 2-year old boy. She lives across the road and a few houses down; she said she heard we had her cat! I was surprised, asked about the address and phone number, and that we had left messages. She said she had moved. So we had to give Oscar back, of course...but I was pretty depressed about it, as he was a lovely little fellow. I asked her not to let him out (we have a very busy road at the corner, a real death trap for young cats).

After that, in early mornings, my husband would see a little black and white cat at the alley gates all the time, right next to her house. We figured it was Oscar; he said if he could catch him, he would; the alley is really filthy and nasty, not fit for a cat to be wandering around in.  >:(

Then, last Friday evening, my husband was taking a nap...and there was a knock on the door. It was the boyfriend of the girl who owns Oscar. He said she had decided to get a puppy, and wanted to keep it, but it couldn't get along with Oscar and his sister, and they were going to get rid of the cats!! The Cat's Protection was full so they didn't know what to do, did I want them? I was gobsmacked...and very afraid they would dump them somewhere. I told him I'd have to talk to husband and would let him know. When I asked husband, he said...go get them right now - no telling what these people will do with them. So I went across the street and came back with 2 cats and a carrier and a box of Wiskas. They said they'd bring all the records over the next morning, so I could see the female had been spayed, and what shots they'd had, etc. But after 4 requests, they have not given me the paperwork, so I am washing my hands of them.

I took them into vets on Tuesday and got them registered (the vets are all rolling around laughing!), CP would have given them their shots, and we can't tell if she's been spayed, no scar, but our CP does the little incision on the side. So I will just have to watch her to see if she goes into heat. We call her Minnie, as she is a lot smaller than her brother, really tiny. Oscar is going in for neutering on Monday morning.

So it's a bit overwhelming, we were happy with our Hairy Horde of 4 cats, but we have really fallen for these 2 as well, and everyone seems to be learning to get on. Sox and Sammy are still hissing at Oscar, but I think that's just because he's not neutered yet and giving off a male smell. So hopefully things will calm down a bit more after Monday. Feeding time is totally insane; these 2 have no manners and actually sit up and scream and beg! But they're enjoying life with us know, and I think they're much better off with us that love and appreciate them.

(Sorry if this was a bit long, but wanted to tell the story!)

Link to CatChat