Author Topic: Litter Training a Kitten HELP!!!!!  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: Litter Training a Kitten HELP!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 18:19:46 PM »
A crate/cage with only litter tray, food and water usually does the trick. I had to do this with one of my cats who came to me having not been trained at all. we had previously tried everything I could find and then contacted CP who lent me the cage and explained how to do it. It felt really mean to do but it did work. She had to stay in there for 2 weeks but it was the best thing for her in the long run. It was as a result of their advice that I then volunteered for them as I was so grateful that at last someting had worked.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 19:12:39 PM »
It might be worth her borrowing a dog cage and starting again litter training her, so she is in a small space and has no option. You can get Cat Attract, but I dont know where from. Good luck

This would get the quickest results, i would suggest a litter like worlds best which is fine, soft and doesnt smell.
She probably wasnt given a tray as a young kitten as mine always teach themselves from 4 weeks of age  ;D

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 10:59:10 AM »
It might be worth her borrowing a dog cage and starting again litter training her, so she is in a small space and has no option. You can get Cat Attract, but I dont know where from. Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »
Mark - thanks.  They have tried putting some poo in the tray but didn't work.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
I would suggest she try a different type of litter .... something fine and clumping (Golden grey from Zooplus is very good) or maybe a paper based litter.  Kitten paws are very delicate and if little one doesn't like the feel of the litter it won't go in the tray.  The fact that s/he is going behind the tray indicates they know where they should be going.

Ultra-clumping litter like golden grey isn't recommended for kittens in case they ingest it or breath the dust in - it can be really harmful and cause blockages.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
The easiest thing is to put some of the kitten's poo in the tray.

I have heard of the spray but would imagine some of their own poo would would better - and it's free  :sick: :evillaugh:

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »
Thanks Sam.  Will pass that on.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:30:17 AM »
I would suggest she try a different type of litter .... something fine and clumping (Golden grey from Zooplus is very good) or maybe a paper based litter.  Kitten paws are very delicate and if little one doesn't like the feel of the litter it won't go in the tray.  The fact that s/he is going behind the tray indicates they know where they should be going.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
Litter Training a Kitten HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »
Hope you can give me some advice to pass on to a friend of mine who got an eight week old kitten a couple of weeks ago.  She is not litter trained and though my friend continually puts her into the tray after food and when she wakes up she just gets out.  She squats beside the tray, gets put in again and will then go but when they are out are finding she goes all over the house.

She is using the same litter that the lady she got the kitten from and it is in a quiet place in the house, well away from her food.  Someone told her about a spray you can get to attract kittens to the litter tray.  Has anyone heard of it and/or used it?

I've not been much help as all of my kitties were very good with their litter from the minute I got them.  Told her to persevere but its starting to get to her.  Any help would be really appreciated for her.

Link to CatChat