Author Topic: Pilling cats warning  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Pilling cats warning
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 15:42:34 PM »
my old boss used to follow it with a couple of mls of water, i didnt have to say but am normally quick enough to push the tablet down the oesophagus with my finger rather than just to back of throat.

It still wouldnt reach the stomach very quick tho...

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:51:49 AM »
Thanks Mark, that link was interesting. I've always given Polly and Sam wet food as a 'reward' for taking pills, and I'm glad I've been doing the right thing.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline coffeefilms

• Adult Cat
    • Last of the Scottish Wildcats film website
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 19:07:54 PM »
Our girl Coffee reacted badly to the feline medicine she was prescribed and takes the human version instead (vet prescribed I must add!), trouble is the pills are those huge full size human capsule things, too big to wrap in anything else and any sign of water in pipettes or syringes would have pretty ugly consequences! She also can't eat straight after or she vomits it all up, pill included, so we always make sure a bowl of water is available to her afterwards but try and get the capsule well down her throat as someone else said here, only way to really do that is for me to hold her while my girlfriend feeds the tablet, having someone to help makes it a much quicker, less stressful experience all round.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 19:10:19 PM by coffeefilms »
The Scottish wildcat film; www.coffeefilms.com/scottishwildcats
The Scottish wildcat website; www.scottishwildcats.co.uk
The Mid Kent RSPCA website; www.midkentrspca.com

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 14:19:18 PM »
my old boss used to follow it with a couple of mls of water, i didnt have to say but am normally quick enough to push the tablet down the oesophagus with my finger rather than just to back of throat.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 17:08:53 PM »
My lot always get a bowl of food after a pill, they prefer this to 5ml of water  :evillaugh:

That site is so much easier to read than the paper iv got

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 14:11:14 PM »
That's a very good point Mark.  It always makes me cringe with nausea when I see Dr. House pops a fistful of tablets without any liquid to accompany them.  Oliver never needed any pill or capsules so far and I do hope this will continue for a long time, but this is one thing to remember when the unfortunate occasion arises!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:42:15 AM »
Yes, that makes sense! I always give tablets in de-furrums/ham/cheese spread before I feed them, to help tabs go down.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Pilling cats warning
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:22:47 AM »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat